Chinese-Forums

Searching for a particular chinese book

jimmytidey

• New Members

Hello,

I'm afraid I'm a bit of an imposter, but I'm looking to solve a problem that only someone who speaks (more specifically, reads) Chinese can help with.

My partner is a big fan of the of the political theorist Fredric Jameson (don't ask), who, apparently, is big in China - I would guess because of his links with Marxism.

She is also what I believe is known as a Sinophile, someone who is interested in Chinese culture.

I see the Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredric_Jameson) indicates his books have been translated into Chinese - I'd really like to get hold of one as a gift. It looks very exotic in the photo!

Can anyone suggest anywhere that might be able to help me?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your help.

Don't know what the best way to order it would be (where do you live, anyway), but the baidu page has a list of his works published in Chinese (halfway down the page, numbered 1-14).

Now at least you have something to search for. I don't know if any Chinese or Taiwanese online bookshops will ship it to you, though.

It seems to me the book with that cover is no longer in print, but you may be able to pick it up from a 2nd hand bookstore I guess (no experience with those). The ISBN is 9787561300312.

Otherwise, you can buy some other book on amazon.cn (they even have an English instructions page these days and ships almost anywhere). I've ordered from there before using a Canadian visa card without any issues. After some casual tries, the best search term seems to be "詹姆逊" or just the English name (as evident in renzhe's link, the author's name was transliterated in tons of different ways). Since no one is planning on actually reading the book, I guess you can just buy it based on the cover (if it... uhm.... looks "exotic" enough I guess?)...? Another option would be to buy a Chinese printing of the English text with a Chinese cover (of which there seems to be a few). In that way, you can both have an "exotic" cover and a book that you (or your friend) can actually read.

Happy shopping! :)

• New Members

Thanks for your help on this - I'm just trying to order something similar from Chinese Amazon.

@amandagmu - I'm not intending to read it, just thought it was a fun object to have. Having read some Jameson too, I don't think it will make very much difference if it is in Chinese!