Chinese-Forums

University Network Database Networking

kdavid

I'm an MA student at a local university in Harbin. I often need access to databases which US universities have access in order to download theses, articles, etc.

Would anyone be either:

1. Interested in helping me download the articles, theses, etc. I need from US universities and then emailing them to me? (We could also use Dropbox for large files.)

OR

2. Interested in a swap (i.e. if you need something your US/western university doesn't have access to, but my Chinese university does, e.g. something from http://www.cnki.com.cn/, I'd be happy to help you download it).

As I've continued with my research I've noticed my life would be much easier if I could have access to a US university database. Perhaps someone in the West has discovered they need access to Chinese databases.

I would be enormously indebted to anyone who wouldn't be bothered to be "on call" and help me download articles.

Likewise, I'd be happy to download Chinese-database items for others, even if they can't help me (granted everyone and their mother doesn't ask).

kdavid,

This is great idea, I think. In fact most academics already participate in this kind of data networking - its common to see papers coauthored by researchers from multiple nations, which allows for each to bring some novel dataset to the project which only nationals have access to.

Unfortunately my institution primarily has access to Spanish data sets; we're quite small (not a university) and thus most rely on the above-mentioned networking with coauthors for novel data...!

Nonetheless I'm pretty sure you should be able to find someone in a Western university that can do this... most libraries there have great database subscriptions.

Hi! I'm not a student at an American university, but I suppose we Norwegians have access to most of the major journals as well. I'm at the University of Oslo. Let me what you need, and I'll see if I can dig up a PDF.

This goes for anybody else without access to a decent university library as well :)

If there are a number of us interested, even at different institutions in different countries, we should start a mailing list.

At the moment, I'm looking for all volumes of "Chinese Students' Monthly," published between 1905 - 1931. I believe each year has one volume.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

• 1 year later...

I'm resurrecting this post as I'm in dire need of a few volumes.

My US-contact has dropped off the face of the planet. I'm deep in this project and there's no turning back.

If anyone has access to online databases, I need volumes 7, 9, 18, 19, and 20 of The Chinese Students' Monthly, published by the Chinese Students Alliance of the United States of America. Those volumes are for the years 1911-12, 1913-14, 1922-23, 1923-24, and 1924-25, respectively.

It would be immensely helpful if anyone could help me get access to these volumes.

• 2 weeks later...