Chinese-Forums

Best place to track down Chinese territory release DVDs?

Jonathan

I'm looking for a good Chinese film website where I can track down and order the film 'Life, Translated', by the director 'Agan'. It was released in cinemas in China in Oct 2004 (to some political controversy actually) and should be around on DVD by now I think.

I played a role in the film, and the producers have been of no help whatsoever in helping me get hold of a copy to see my perormance. So am now looking to buy the film on DVD from China.

Any help in finding a way to order it would be greatly appreciated!

Hey! That's it! Good work Holmes! I also have the same links to the political controversy and reviews. Pretty awful film to be honest, but it was shot on 35mm and lit really well, so the footage will look good.

It won't be released in the UK ever - it was just shot over here, which is why I found it so hard to find.

My only problem now is understanding the Chinese website 'Sohu.com' so I can buy it online. Is there a way of translating the 'store' page into English? It seems as if I need to join and log in first, but I just don't understand the specific fields. I can translate the main site into English, but not the store area.

I'm not farmiliar with Chinese websites, and I guess you may have a lot more experience.

Thanks so much for tracking it down!

My Chinese is lousy, so I'll let others here advise you. Your best alternative bet is to check an English-friendly site like yesasia.com. The carry a lot of mainland titles and no doubt, it will eventually be listed. I don't think they currently offer it, just check every month or so. As it may be listed under a different English title, search for its Chinese title: 时差七小时 (I think). Or, simply print the cover and wander down to your local Chinatown and inquire at a video store.

I figured you had the other links but I provided them for the benefit of other readers that might be interested. Out of curiousity, who did you play?

Thanks for the tips! I just spent a couple of hours, quite literally, Lost In Translation... I had web translation sites and all sorts trying to get to the root of the order. I may actually call the number and ask if anyone speaks English.

I played the bumbling Hugh Grant-esque English teacher, Mr Fisher. Check out the listing on IMBd for more details if you like:

www.jonathanrhodes.com/imdb

Thanks for your help! I'll get hold of it eventually.

Thanks for the link. And so handsome, too.

It's only been a few months since release, so not too many etailers carry it. Be patient, I think it will show up. I still think yesasia.com will be your best bet. Myself, I haven't dealt with any mainland based etailers directly. Usually, I purchase from HK based etailers or yesasia who distribute from regional warehouses/shipping hubs.

Hey, any dirt or funny stories to dish on Edison Chan? I'm sure readers here would be interested if you have any.

Good luck on your search. If I find anything more useful I'll post it back here.

Ha ha! I don't have that much dirt on him really - apparently he's a big heart throb over there, but he was just a young actor on a busy film set when I worked with him. It was stated in his contract though, that he had to have (among other things) 5* accomodation for the shoot. We all just dug down in the on-set rooms!

I did coach him on a bit of Shakespeare delivery too. There's a very cheesy scene where I'm leading a class on Hamlet, and Edison's character and another student 'act' out the final sword fight - the kind of thing where Shakespeare's words reflect what's happening in the film.... you get the picture. Agan, the director was getting more and more frustrated because the young actors couldn't make sense of the text and so all that layered meaning was lost. So I stepped in and tried to explain to Edison and the other guy what was REALLY going on in the Hamlet scene and break it down from what at first muct have looked like 'ye olde English' rubbish. It seemed to work.

He seemed a pretty chilled out guy, but I got the impression that what Edison wanted - he got.

yesasia.com def sems like the best bet - an Chinese Amazon.com really - see how they've copied the tabs at the top!

Thanks again and if any readers hear how to get hold of 'Life, Translated' aka 'Jet Lag' aka '7 Hours Time Difference' aka '时差七小时' - then drop me a line!

Cheers,