Chinese-Forums

Harbin Ice Festival - Places and Things to do

Brian US

I hope some other members can add or fill in the gaps here as I was only in Harbin for a couple weeks. I didn't do much exploring food wise, but there was an awesome dumpling place half way down Zhongyang Dajie station next to a pastry shop and across from a noodle restaurant and KTV. It was just off to the side and a few meters off the main street.

Can anyone recommend some restaurants or dishes? There are a couple members that have been in Harbin long-term, I know who you are :twisted: .

I traveled up to Harbin for the ice festival roughly 10 years ago today (Spring Festival time in January/February 2002....wow, how time flies!). Isn't there some ice skating and other activities by the river? I can't really remember.

Last year I think they only had ice bikes and tubing, but lots of statues and a giant snow Buddha. This year they have a toboggan, ice skating, saw a couple four wheelers whipping around, and what looks like an airsoft course setup during the day.

Nice. Well, those are some other good options.

I also went up to Harbin in the summer (of 2004), and had a great time at the beer festival. The cool temps make it a great summer vacation spot for those down south. So, i guess that's another option as well.

Thanks for the excellent report. Makes me want to go. The 架子王 chain of dumpling shops was real good when I was there (Summer, 2008.) I enjoyed the Tiger Park.

Another staple is sweet and sour pork or chicken 锅包肉?

Is this the same as 古老肉?(At least the pork version?)

Is this the same as 古老肉?(At least the pork version?)

I think it is generally flatter (less meat) and I ordered it at a hole in the wall restaurant. The owner proudly proclaimed that I couldn't get it in Beijing. It's not actually that sweet, but then again I found that sauces are easily substituted in any Chinese restaurant.

Did a search of 锅包肉 and it looked just like this:

http://image.baidu.c...T8352&S34

It looks tasty. All in all I do not consider Harbin a food paradise, pretty much like you said above in your original post. (I'm sure locals would argue.) Was also surprised to see that even many young women there were really into the booze. It seemed to be a hard drinking place, albeit usually very friendly to strangers.

There is a really good Russian restaurant close to the river. If you walk up to the Stalin monument then take a right and walk along the river, you will see it. It is in the first or second block of shops going away from the river. I have been to several Russian restaurants and this one is by far the best. Reasonably priced too. There is another Russian restaurant I've been to that I don't remember the name of which has all Russian waitresses. It is expensive though - two friends and I paid around 600 RMB, though we did have vodka, beers, and a bit of wine (as you should at a Russian dinner). Anyway, I think the first place, the small place by the river, is actually better. You can tell it's good because it is almost always full of Russians.

For night life I like Fox Pub... good atmosphere, cheap beer, nice people. Very few Chinese go there though. I get enough of Chinese people at the town where I live, so when I go into bigger cities I kind of like to be with other foreigners. Not to mention many Chinese bars seem to be overpriced, have overly loud music, and fewer girls who are not working.

I lived in Harbin for 4.5 years, I really loved it there, and you REALLY need some warm boots, this can't be over stressed enough.

At the tiger park in the bus I noticed a chicken swimming not to far from a tiger totally unconcerned, and still uneatten as it left our view.

A cab ride to downtown will be 100+RMB and the drivers are notorious for picking up others along the way.

Not only that, you may in fact be sold... I was sold to a driver of another taxi because the original driver didn't want to pay to cross the toll booth. There's often a taxi or 2 waiting to do some passenger trading and a little cash trading hands. It makes for an interesting topic with the drivers though.

It looks tasty. All in all I do not consider Harbin a food paradise, pretty much like you said above in your original post. (I'm sure locals would argue.)

Oh how I miss the food in Harbin! If you don't like the food there, you're eatting the wrong food in the wrong places.

Oh how I miss the food in Harbin! If you don't like the food there, you're eatting the wrong food in the wrong places.

I would not be at all surprised if that were true. What a pity.

I was sold to another cab driver going back to the airport with the driver pulling over in the middle of the highway. I argued on arrival, but couldn't complain too much with my buddy and I paying 70RMB in all.

• 3 months later...

Hello together, as I will be in Harbin in summer I would like to know if anybody of you would know a beautiful place in Harbin to go and meditate. Does anybody knows of a Buddhist Center in Harbin or has any kind of connection to it? Thank you very much for your hints and tipps and kind regards. Have a wonderful week.

• 1 year later...