Chinese-Forums

What's the best way for me to block websites to enforce self-discipline?

drungood

My vulnerable self is too tempted to visit Hulu or Reddit, "just for a few minutes," but then several hours pass by. I need some method that will take me at least 15 minutes to circumvent, because that's the approximate time frame for me to say "**** it" and return to my Chinese learning environment.

I've tried LeechBlock but it's ineffective, because when Firefox isn't giving me what I want, I'm shameless enough to engage in an adulterous affair even with the likes of Internet Explorer :-?

The hosts file can be changed in well under 15 mins :D

If your router supports it, you may have the ability to block entire domains based on certain conditions such as time of day etc.

So you could set it up to block hulu, reddit and anything else you don't want to visit, but only between 8am-6pm weekdays and before 2pm on weekends.

Then get someone you trust to change the router configuration password and not tell you what it is.

I think a better thing than say, blocking sites would just to be find similar websites in Chinese. Say some chinese video sites,, photosharing and such. YOu will learn faster is you are looking at something you like.

That's true, and it will be much easier when I move to China in a week and have access to more Chinese DVDs and someone who can help me figure out Xunlei :D (since unless I'm missing something, VeryCD stopped offering media downloads almost exactly at the time I started using the site)

For now I'm editing the hosts file and doing crap like making it read-only, requiring admin privileges to view the folder, etc... even though I could unblock in 4 minutes that may make a difference. If I have access to a router in the place I'm staying in China I'll try that, but maybe my roommates would not be so committed to my plan of immersion :P

What I've done is use the hosts file to not block sites, but to redirect them to more boring ones - ie, a bunch of news sites might all redirect to the mobile version of the BBC. You still get to read the news, but there's a lot less in the way of distracting comment threads, commentary, celeb exposes, etc, and you get back to work quicker.

There are also a bunch of tools which will track your time spent on different applications and websites, if you need to keep an eye on yourself.