Chinese-Forums

Need some advice about moving to Guangzhou

Ciaran86

• New Members

Hi,

Just new to this forum so hope everyone is well.

My ex girlfriend has accepted a job in Guangzhou to teach English. It all happened suddenly and now it looks as though the two of us want to give our relationship another chance. I'm going over to visit end of April and will have booked a return flight. I think we are both hoping though that we can make things work out.

I need to ask what options if any will i have for gaining an extended visa to stay in China for a period of time or getting a job either teaching English or getting bar work. I do not have a degree although I do have my TEFL certifcate.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can give me.

You are unlikely to find bar work. Why would a bar employ you when there are literally millions of unemployed locals who could do the job? Many of whom speak enough English to serve a drink. To be legally employed in China, you need to be authorised by the Foreign Experts' Bureau. I don't think they have classified bar work as one of their acceptable areas of expertise yet.

As to teaching without a degree, technically it is illegal and you are highly unlikely to be able to obtain the correct papers. That said, there are jobs available, but as an unqualified person, the salary will be low, the conditions are often pretty bad and you can't complain because you are an illegal immigrant. Guangzhou seems to be one of the strictest places on teaching hiring.

I'm not going to comment on your relationship - I know nothing about it. But it does all seem a shaky way to sort things out.

I don't think they have classified bar work as one of their acceptable areas of expertise yet.

There are philippinos working as bar staff in Shanghai. I found that out when trying to speak in Chinese to one of them. I'm not sure how official it is though.

There are philippinos working as bar staff in Shanghai. I found that out when trying to speak in Chinese to one of them. I'm not sure how official it is though.

You occasionally spot foreign bar staff in Beijing also, but usually you find out they're on student visas and the bar work is more for fun networking and the experience than making "real" money. If deadset on moving over without a degree, teaching English seems like the most likely place to start.

Some adverts for English teachers in China simply say: Have pulse? Have job! So you should be able to get a job teaching English. I'm not familiar with the situation in Guangzhou, but if you get a 90-day tourist visa, you should be able to get it renewed at least a couple of times in HK while working illegally. But I wouldn't put down roots (e.g., sign long term lease or contract with terms that assume you won't have to take off on short notice) until you get the proper visa sorted. If you don't have qualms about working illegally, then go whole hog and obtain a fake diploma to fulfil that criterion.