Chinese-Forums

谁能百里挑一

feihong

This is yet another in the endless stream of Chinese dating shows. However, SNBLTY stands out somewhat by reversing the 非诚勿扰 formula -- that is, there are a panel of men who reject a single female contestant.

There are numerous other differences, however. For example, ALL contestants are required to perform (including male contestants who form the panel of 16). Performances usually consist of singing or dancing. Since the requirement is universal, some of these performances are quite painful to watch, but occasionally they fall into the realm of "so bad it's good".

Other differences:

- The female contestant always comes out wearing a mask. She can elect to take off the mask at any time, but most leave it on for a while to "retain an air of mystery".

- There is a lot more on-site discussion on this show, since each female contestant only gets one video (not three, as is the norm on FCWR).

- Each female contestant can pick a 最心仪的男嘉宾 (equivalent to 心动女生), but they can give them a 表白 regardless of how many rejections they've received.

- I'm no makeup expert, but I feel like all the female contestants are wearing an exorbitant amount of makeup. I feel that the masks they wear are used to somewhat disguise this fact (they wear masks even in their videos).

I get the feeling that the 牵手成功 rate is also quite low on this show, probably because many female contestants skew towards eccentric. For example, one girl came back on the show to request that her 最心仪的男嘉宾 return her earring so they could spend Valentine's Day together and ride a Ferris wheel (I left out some important details but trust me, it was a little bizarre).

There are two hosts for this show -- a Beijing man in his 40s and a Sichuan woman in her 30s. The male host is no 孟非 but he occasionally makes some good observations. I'm a bit surprised by the female host. She isn't as amusing as 乐嘉, but she does make a few decent jokes (she cracked a joke referencing The Ring that got me chuckling).

Anyway, if you aren't completely sick of dating shows you should check out SNBLTY (I pronounce it Snooblety). You can watch the show on its Youku channel. However, you should be careful not to confuse this show with 百里挑一, which seems to be the same show except with a panel of women.