Chinese-Forums

Storing the landlord's belongings during rent?

calamindos

I recently found an apartment for a 1-year rent through an agency, and after inspecting the apartment, they agreed to have it cleaned and have the landlord's electricals removed since I would bring my own to replace some of them. My biggest concern was having the TV removed since I don't watch it. The TV is quite a large CRT, and I thought I could use the space on the stand to put my books, since it is quite a small studio. They also agreed to remove the microwave, as I would bring my own. After agreeing on those, I paid the deposit and agency fee.

However, when I went to visit them today to see how things were going, they said that it couldn't be done. I had them contact the landlord and overheard her telling the agent to have me clean the place by myself, which I thought was a bit inconsiderate. Then the agent told me that it would now not be possible to have the TV and other electricals removed because the landlord doesn't stay in Beijing.

One of the reasons for renting that apartment was for using the space. And of course the landlord wouldn't give my deposit back. Now I'm finding myself having to rent this place while storing things for the landlord. I should have asked the agent to put their agreement to move those things in writing, but I am now thinking about options to have those things removed. There are places that rent storage space, but I doubt the landlord would want to spend money.

It seems like a minor issue, but I could really use that space for things that I would actually use. I was thinking that every concern was covered and that I could start studying peacefully, but even before starting, things are getting stressful.

I would really appreciate some advice from experienced tenants or anybody who could give some suggestion. That would really help!

Firstly, contact the landlord directly, and explain the situation. If the landlord reneges on an explicit promise to remove those items, then just sell them. You probably won't get your deposit back, but at least you'll get some money for the items. Make sure, though, that your contract doesn't list those things as items that come with the apartment.

• Like 1

This is not uncommon. One of my colleagues has an entire bedroom locked off in his apartment.

In my apartment, the balcony is 25% full of the landlord's stuff. They also left behind some massive, super-ugly, cabinets, which take up about 15% of my bedroom.

I really like anonymoose's suggestion. Firstly, it suits my passive-aggressive nature. Second, you probably wouldn't get your deposit back anyway.

• Like 1

There are places that rent storage space...

Are there really? I have tried to find them (not in Beijing) without success. What is the Chinese name for these places? I would sure like to find one in Kunming.

Sorry for your problem. Wish I had a solution. I currently store lots of landlord stuff in my apartment here (Kunming.) But there never was a promise to the contrary; I knew what the deal would be at the time I paid my rent.

Such incidents seem to be quite commonly mentioned in this forum, ie people (landlords, tenants, etc) being 言而無信. (Perhaps this is because people tend to write about their unhappy experiences, and people who are happy seldom tell people how happy they are.) Very stressful situation indeed.

I had rented several places (in Hong Kong) and one of them was owned by a Mainlander and I had to deal with the renting through his agent. That was the worst place I have rented, not well-maintained at all, and very difficult to get any things fixed (and there were a lot of things that required fixing). So I moved away once the tenancy expired. Based on my experience, it would be better if you can get in touch with the landlord direct. And if the landlord cares about the condition of the place it would be even better.

Perhaps this is because people tend to write about their unhappy experiences, and people who are happy seldom tell people how happy they are.

I think on previous threads I have mentioned the good experiences I've had renting properties in Shanghai. I'm currently in my fifth apartment, and so far, I haven't had any very bad experiences. So far, I have received my deposit back in full every time.

The worst apartment I had was the previous where I had rats coming in through the kitchen. The landlord agreed to do something about it, but procrastinated for so long that I moved out before anything got done.

My landlord prior to that, and my current landlord, both seem very decent. Anything that was faulty or missing was resolved promptly, all at the landlord's expense.

I think it helps if one can speek Chinese, and can meet the landlord face to face when searching for apartments. That way at least one can make sure requirements are clearly communicated without going through agents, who more often than not will say anything to close a deal.

@calamindos - not sure if you already sold the TV, but in case you need help with finding a storage company, a friend of mine put his stuff with a company here in Beijing (well the storage space is actually somehwere outside the 6th ring), not expensive and from what I heard everything is still there.

pm me if you want the phone number.

In case the TV is not listed on the items in the flat when you took over the apartment, I would just tell the landlord that I am putting the stuff outside the apartment and he can pick it up or not - up to him.

If it is - I probably still would do it. Its horrible to have stuff in your own home you dont want to have there.

I've also just signed a lease in Beijing, for a place that is basically empty! Which is what I wanted, since most of the other places were full of very old, junky furniture.

While I was looking at the other overfilled houses, the agents told me that landlords would generally agree tp let me 'replace' but not simply get rid of furniture. Basically, as long as the furniture (or a replacement for it) is there when your lease finishes. The landlord just wants to know that his/her house is still going to be usable after you leave.

So, first of all, as the others above have suggested, negotiate (nicely - unless you are sure there was a clear understanding prior to your singing of the contract) with the landlord directly or get a Chinese friend to do it for you. If the landlord refuses to come pick up the TV, which he/she probably will if he/she lives outside of Beijing, you have 2 options:

1. Tell the landlord that you are going to get rid of the TV and offer to pay for a new one by the time the rent is up - tvs arent too expensive in China. I wouldn't simply get rid of the TV without asking because then the landlord could claim that it was worth a ridiculous amount of money and cause you problems.

2. Call a removalists' company and ask them to pick up the TV and put it into storage for you. Maybe get the agent to do this for you. Here are a couple of companies that I found on the web. http://www.bjsytgs.com http://www.bjsdmover.com/English.htm.

Disclaimer: I haven't used either of these companies so I don't know how good/reliable they are!

Peter

Thank you all for your suggestions. The tv has actually been marked on the contract, so I don't want to risk anything by selling it. I will be moving in at the end of this month and will follow your advice on contacting the landlord directly. Hopefully things will work out.

I will be moving in at the end of this month ... Hopefully things will work out.

Does this mean that in the five or six days since you originally posted, you still have not contacted the landlord directly with the aid of a Chinese speaking friend?

If you actually move in when the situation has not been resolved, you will lose what little leverage you have and things probably will *not* work out to your satisfaction.

Do your best to reach an understanding now, ASAP. Do not put it off. The problem will not just magically solve itself.