Chinese-Forums

Problems with Chinese IME for winXP

munkdo

Hi, I'm new to these boards. I've been lurking around a little and decided to post now because I've a problem I need help with. You see, I'm having difficulties with typing in Chinese.

I have installed IME for Chinese for XP and can type in word, the internet etc. the only problem is that it wont accept "q" or "z" or "i" after "ru" as in "rui", all of which i know exist in pinyin chinese.

The program also won't give me, what seems to be, the most apparent character for a pinyin. When I want to type: Hello. I am Swedish" in Chinese, for example it the following happens:

1. Hao, as in "Ni hao" won't produce 好 at all. Rather, it gives me this list of choices: 1哈, 2铪, 3蛤, 4蝦, 5鉿 in that order, thus leaving what should be a common character to that pinyin completely out.

2. "shì", as in "wo shi" won't produce 是 in the top 9 choices even (you have to scroll after the first 9). It gives me a very long scrolldown list of a myriad different characters (of which 是 could much possibly be one, but its not in the top 30 or so neither have i found it yet).

3. "rui", as in "ruidian" is blocked out by the program, as if the combination rui is impossible. The "i" becomes red and dissapears and the imfamous windows "impossible action" sound is played up. :wall

China, "zhonggou", is also impossible to type since "z" is blocked out . When I use a certain fullscreen program to chat with chinese it will only show any characters listed as question marks (???, ?? ?? ???. etc.) even though i can produce them and type them. All of the other problems apply to this program too.

Is anyone else getting these kind of problems? What can I do about it? Is it supposed to be this way (I suspect not)? Should I install another software for this? In that case, which? Most of Chinese IMEs are completely in Chinese and I'm far from proficient enough in it to understand anything of it (I only know some basic phrases). :help

That is strange. I'm using the Windows XP IMEs currently and experience none of the problems that you are having. Which IME do you have installed? I have "Chinese (Taiwan): Microsoft New Phonetic IME 2002a" to type Traditional Chinese and "Chinese (PRC): Microsoft Pinyin IME 3.0" to type Simplified Chinese.

It is a swedish keyboard. The only thing that differs from an American keyboard is that we use åäö at the places of : ; and some other keys. They general layout is qwerty (you can say that the swedish keyboard makers were lazy shits but that's beyond the point).

I am also using Chinese (Taiwan): Microsoft New Phonetic IME 2002a. The only exception is that i use it for typing simplified chinese and not traditional.

Or at least I think so. I am still not really clear with what happened during the installation. I was using this site as a guide (I relied entirely upon it). I installed IME for simplified Chinese (taiwan), i cant remembver really how it was spelled.

The strange thing is I already have Chinese (PRC) installed but it doesn't do anything. It just acts exactly like an American keyboard. It cant even show what it says itself.

It says this ins the language settings: which means:

-Kina PCR China PCR

- [[keyboard image]] tangentbord Keyboard

- about 8 or 9 incomprehensive letters (it cant produce Chinese - Characters)

I am quite confused now as you can see

Check to see whether it's a problem with your Swedish keyboard by using the graphical keyboard.

Click the language symbol at the lower right, then select "Show the language bar." Click the left-most box on the language bar so that CH (Chinese (PRC)) shows, then click on the middle button "Open/Close Soft Keyboard" and try inputting on the keyboard screen that opens up.

Hi, maybe you could try installing Chinese (PRC) Microsoft Pinyin IME 3.0

Sorry if this is a stupid answer, I don't know much about computers but that is what I use. Even though I write mainly traditional characters, I can't use the Chinese (Taiwan)New Phonetic IME because it uses bopomofo. In the Pinyin IME you click on the character or

to switch between trad. and simplified.

sorry if u knew that already...

Here's one thing you might want to try... the site you linked to showed "Legacy IME" selected in the New Phonetic IME properties. I have mine set on "Intelligent IME" instead. Try changing it to "Intelligent IME" and see if it works.

bluepoppy, sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. I tried to install chinese IME 3 for Chinese PRC and it works great right now!

I thought that Chinese Taiwan was what i should use as the Chinese pcr version i had didnt even comprehend chinese.

thanks for the tip! I tried and it worked. :clap

just to check. could anyone verify these sentences:

你好!

我是瑞典人.

中够很美.

她爱我!

我手中购画。 我手中购花!我手中购画! it seems like tehres a problem here. Ive tried to write Wo shou zhonggou hua (i speak chinese) 3 times but it seems like it doesnt match what is written in my textbook. i cant change these particular characters either ( i could correct the character for "ta" so it meant "she")

你很高. 我很高兴.这是瑞典. 这是中够.

hmm. this poses another problem. you see the last character? i meant gou as country (zhonggou) but it produced an entirely other character and i cant correct it. how could i do that? is there a spellcheck?

hehe ok. I am very new at all of this as you can see :D

ill try again to see if it really works

中国.

欢迎

您好

你好

我找王先生.我就是.你是高先生骂?

他 赵

昭 邢

ok it seems to work. I've only two more questions: 1.How do i get it to work in a fullscreen program in which it does not at this point(im trying to get it to work in a computer game called "Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne" but it wont work) and 2. Sometimes i can change the character and sometimes now. Under what conditions can i / can i not change a character to sometime else with a similar pinyin and what command will do this (leftclick on word, highlight word and leftclick, any keyboard commands etc.)?

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I've got a problem as well. My PC at work actually displays character choices when I'm typing, which is good for me at this point. I just installed Microsoft Pinyin IME 3.0 (for XP) on my laptop; however, it will not display choices...instead, I have to type in a tone number after the pinyin and if I'm lucky, the right character will show up! It has been almost impossible to work this way.

I'm new to using IMEs...never used one until a couple of weeks ago, so I won't be surprised if I'm missing something really obvious hehe...then again, my Chinese colleagues are puzzled by it too (they haven't actually seen this issue on my laptop).

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks for the speedy response!...I actually stumbled onto that a little while ago, so I've almost got it how I want it...but it's still not quite as cooperative as what I'm using at work (I'll have to check and see what version of IME I'm using there).

Anyway, I wish I'd made the effort to put it on the laptop 3 years ago - my writing / reading would be so much better than it is hehe...

Thanks again for the tip, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Scott

Here's the latest version of MS Pinyin IME. It's quite large, at 75MB.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3c381308-e169-41f3-812e-aa8774162795&displaylang=zh-cn

微软拼音输入法MSPY2003是微软拼音输入法的最新版本,已随Office System 2003同时发布。

简体中文

文件名:MSPY.msi

下载大小:76745 KB

发布日期: 2004-4-12

版本:1.0

• 1 month later...

Just in case anyone is interested, to the best of my knowledge, you can still use Hanyu Pinyin with the Taiwanese IME... At the "Text Languages and Input Services" dialogue box, add Chinese (Taiwan), then click Properties with the New Phonetic IME selected, and go to the Keyboard Mapping tab, and select Hanyu Pinyin instead of bopomofo or whatever.

• 2 months later...