Chinese-Forums

WORLD WITHOUT THIEVES - the DVD?

laolee

There are DVD-5's in paperboard sleeves w/plastic bag for 6 or 7 RMB, the same DVD-5 packaged in a standard box for 10-12 RMB, and DVD-9's in box plus slipcase for 22-25 RMB. All are marketed by Zoke Culture, who also seem to have the lock on copies of HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS. If the THIEVES release is like the DAGGERS DVD-9, then the quality should be just fine.

Thanks chengdude. Only sensasian carries the Zoke disc online so I'll probably end up getting the 2 disc HK version and hope the extras are worthwhile.

re: HOFD, yeah, I'm thinking of GDFace's extended Hero and Kekexili. I'm all mixed up. Zoke is cool. Maybe it was 2046 that I heard also had the popup logos.

Indeed, I got burned on the GD Face 2046 and KEKEXILI discs (bought them at the same time): pop-ups, terrible transfers, and Chinese subtitles burned onto the bottom of the film frame. Paid premium for the DVD-9's, too, thinking the quality would be better.

Ouch! Well, I knew I'd eventually there'd be better 2046 release, so I waited on that. Kekexili, I only paid $5.99 and right now there's no alternative. Sony/Columbia will probably put one out but it won't be cheap. (re: Warriors of Heaven and Earth)

Sorry to report that the Zoke WORLD WITHOUT THIEVES (DVD-9) is a direct transfer from the screened version, i.e with Chinese and English subtitles burned onto the film. The transfer is just so-so: widescreen, but it's rather contrasty and the subtitles are sometimes lost in the light of various scenes.

• 1 year later...