Chinese-Forums

Looking for advice on finding teaching jobs that are less than 20 hours per week

Beijing2012

I am looking to move to Beijing for two years to learn Chinese and experience the country. While there, I want to teach English but need to have enough time to learn Mandarin. I have a college degree and over one year of (non-ESL) tutoring experience. Am willing to get CELTA or any other certification required. Does anyone have any advice on where to look? It seems that most jobs are more than 20 teaching hours or want more experience than I have.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I suggest checking out universities. Most jobs seem to be under 20 hours. Which schools have you looked at? Check out Bei Yu. I'd hold off on the CELTA certificate until you contact some universities. I think the college degree and tutoring experience are more important. You're not going to make a lot of money, but you'll have enough time to study and immerse yourself in the culture. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I agree- you'll also have lots of willing teachers on hand. I was friend with an English major who wants to teach Chinese to foreigners after graudation and she was great.

However, its easy to fall into the lull of campus life where you don't use Chinese much except for routine trips to the shop or canteen. Get a life outside the gates. Join a gym or just wander the streets and say hi to the locals.