Chinese-Forums

Grammar question: aspect vs tense

jbradfor

So one can ask for advice on an anonymous forum but not look it up on Wikipedia?

One can do whatever one wishes. But if I, for one, were to seek advice on an anonymous forum, I would expect the respondent to back up their reply with adequate sources or I wouldn't give it particular credence. Just like Wikipedia. I see no problem here.

Chinese linguists, in my experience, have no particular difference of opinion regarding true tense necessitating a change of the verb form. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

My point was that in any serious context, it should be regarded with deep suspicion and supporting material should always be sought. It should never, ever be cited in any academic context.

Don't you think everyone knows this already? Is it really needed to dis Wikipedia every time it comes up?

Any respected (as in peer respected by being academically scrutinised by colleagues) is going to be more reliable. You can call that elitism, if you like. But I prefer to get my information from recognised linguists with career histories rather than anonymous people who happen to have an internet connection.

Agreed. The problem is that it is nearly impossible to find "basic" information in peer-reviewed papers. If you just want basic information for personal (not professional) information, spending days going through papers is not an option.

Don't you think everyone knows this already?

Obviously they don't.

Is it really needed to dis (sic) Wikipedia every time it comes up?

I don't.

it is nearly impossible to find "basic" information in peer-reviewed papers. If you just want basic information for personal (not professional) information, spending days going through papers is not an option.

Agreed. But, as I've said before, the OP seemed to want a definitive, more academic answer rather than basic information.

And anyway, basic information is there in places other than, but complementary to Wikipedia.