Chinese-Forums

Placement of words

iMeng@Meng

A man is being questioned by police in connection with the attack.

:

一名与该袭击有关的男子正受到警方盘问。

Ok so when I chopped up the sentence it really is kinda confusing, can someone explain the word order pleasse.

A man is being questioned by police in connection with the attack.

:

一名与该袭击有关的男子正受到警方盘问

一名男子正受到盘问。A man is being questioned. Questioned by who?

一名男子正受到警方盘问。A man is being questioned by police. Why?

一名与该袭击有关的男子正受到警方盘问。A man connected with the attack is being questioned by police.

or, reworded slightly: A man is being questioned by police in connection with the attack.

• Like 4

I think of 該 as being "the aforementioned...", which is clumsier in English but maybe more accurate in regards to the function. 國語辭典 says 「指上述提到過的人或事物」。 Just at least keep it clear in your mind that 該 ≠ 這個 or 此.

Eh, 差不多, I think. To me, the original feels like the emphasis is on the man, and particularly that he has something to do with the attack. Yours feels like it's emphasizing the police and their action, so if I were translating yours to English I'd say "The police are questioning a man connected to the attack", while the original I'd translate as "A man connected with the attack is being questioned by the police".

The translation given in the first post isn't as clear as it could be, IMO. Are the police the ones in connection with the attack? Because that's what it sounds like.

I am sorry I didn't read the English in the OP's post. I thought he was only asking for help to parse the Chinese sentence.

The original can be put this way in Chinese:

一名與該襲擊有關的男子正在接受警方盤問。

PS: The English sentence isn't quite good; it gives me the impression that it's the police who is in connection with the attack.

Why not say a man in connection with the attack is being questioned by the police?