Chinese-Forums

Confusing requests by school

aodaliaren

I've got a couple of questions.

In September 2009 I started a teaching job in China that was supposed to finish in June 2010 but I had to leave about a month early because my elderly mother had had a huge fall and needed someone to take care of her at home and since I'm the only child that was up to me. I explained that to the school and they weren't happy but they let me go.

I've now been back home since May last year and since my mother is now in a nursing home I'm looking to come back to China. Web International English offered me a job after requesting references from previous employers including my last job in China. They also requested a copy of my Z visa and my residency permit which I scanned and sent. They are now telling me the need a copy of a letter of recommendation which I sent to them. That letter is in Chinese. They also said that I need a release letter from my old school along with confirmation that my Foreign Expert Certificate has been cancelled. I have been told before by agencies that since I've left the country already it is obvious that I no longer work there and besides my residency permit ran out last year. Is the school just playing games or is this really the case.

They also said that they want me to come over to China on a tourist visa which they will then convert to a residency permit on my behalf and that they will bear the cost. They also said I can get a tourist visa for 30, 60 and even 90 days. The online site for the local Chinese consulate states tourist visas only allow someone to stay for 30 days and that under exceptional circumstances it can be extended by 7 days but no more than that.

I'm just totally confused by all of this.

Any thoughts?

They also said I can get a tourist visa for 30, 60 and even 90 days. The online site for the local Chinese consulate states tourist visas only allow someone to stay for 30 days

(Based on your name I'm assuming you're Australian) I got a 90 day, single entry tourist visa in November last year from the embassy in Canberra. Just write on your visa application form that you will be staying for 90 days.

Will leave other questions for others.

• Like 1

They also said that they want me to come over to China on a tourist visa which they will then convert to a residency permit on my behalf and that they will bear the cost.

While that does sound dicey to me, many other people have also posted that they were requested to do the same thing. However, I don't recall people coming back to say whether they were able to change it or not.

I went to China on an L visa (at the end of 2006) which was changed into a Z visa with no problem. Many organizations do this simply because the paper work involved in getting a Z visa takes so much time. Of course, the crucial point is whether the organization is able to arrange a Z visa or not once you are in China.

Thanks for that. I have also asked them if they will actually provide me with a contract to sign before I arrive but so far no answer. The job sounds really good. Maybe too good. They say they are offering 10,500RMB, 4000RMB accommodation allowance and after 6 months 1000RMB transport allowance.

I wouldn't recommend turning up on an L visa expecting to change to a Z unless

a) You're going to an actual state university

or

b) You're going to a named private school which you can see from your online research has in the past been able to get working visas

This should help you avoid being strung along with a series of L visa extensions and visa runs.

• 1 month later...

My understanding is that if you have worked in China before with a foreign expert's certificate, you still need to get this release letter from your previous employer. It not only says that you are no longer working there but also leaves room for comments about you if they choose to do so (which usually just amounts to checking a box that says good, so-so, or bad). The school is legally required to give it to you; however, I've heard stories that if the employer-employee relationship ends on bad terms, they have more of a tendency to drag their feet when you ask for it. It was a pretty simple affair in my case.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

do not come to china on any visa other then a z for work Ive been in china for 8 yrs now and in the past it was not a problem

but the law has changed and you can not get a z visa while on a student or tourist visa while in china legally.

Don't be surprised that if you do come on a L visa if the send you to HK at your own expense to get the Z visa.

You will need a letter of release from your last employer but if you have trouble getting it from them inform your contact

at your new job and tell them your previous boss wont give it to you and they will usually contact them for you to get your release letter