Chinese-Forums

Web-based QQ on Linux

Pengyou

I just installed Linux on my desktop and changed to using the web-based qq instead of an installed program. The linux version of qq, to put it mildly, is very weak. The web-based is almost as good as the international version. I have 2 problems, however, and cannot find an answer for them.

1. If I right click on a star (the qq zone star) and ask the computer to open the page in a new tab I get an error message.

2. I cannot copy text from a chat session. I often do this to use an online Chinese-English dictionary.

Does anyone know how to fix these problems?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if I can help you with those specific questions, since I don't use the online version. That said, there are a couple other QQ options, beyond the six year old official client and Web QQ, which would be worth considering:

1. Wine QQ - This is a custom DEB package which includes WINE libraries and a relatively recent Windows version of QQ. While some glitches remain, this package is pretty much up-to-date (currently, just one month behind the official Windows client), retains the most working features and is about as good as you're gonna get on Linux, without Tencent releasing an official client, this decade. Unfortunately, for some, all of their info is in Chinese, but installation is pretty straightforward. I believe this is also, more-or-less, the same QQ client as is used by the popular Chinese distro Linux Deepin.

新浪微博: http://www.weibo.com/longene

Update: Wine QQ seems to be getting more-and-more stable with each release. This is currently the best option for QQ on Linux.

2. libqq-pidgin - This is a library which will add QQ 2010 support to Pidgin. Its very simple to install, with a PPA available for Ubuntu based distros, and will ensure its fully integrated with the Ubuntu messaging menu, notifications etc, and even allow you to have MSN/Windows Live, Google Talk, Facebook Chat, Renren Chat, AIM etc all running in a single piece of software. The biggest pitfall, here, is that you only have chat functions (no webcam, games etc), but its otherwise rock-solid!

Launchpad PPA: https://launchpad.ne.../ archive/libqq

Or just copy/paste the following code into your Terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lainme/libqq

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install pidgin libqq-pidgin

Update: Pidgin, using libqq-pidgin, has been problematic, of late, frequently causing my account to become temporarily disabled "due to abnormal activity."

• Like 1