Chinese-Forums

Basic Chinese: A grammar and workbook 2nd and 1st Edition

joapsx

I found both on amazon, but because the newer edition is actually far more expensive than the older edition, I was wondering is someone here could tell me if something has been improved on the 2nd edition.

I found that the books New practical chinese readers vol1 and 2 have exactly the same contents for the old and new editions and was wondering if with Basic Chinese, the same occurs. Thanks :)

Peace

I have the second edition of "Basic Chinese". In the preface, the only parts that specifically mention what has been changed in the new edition is:

"In this second edition extra drills have been provided for each unit, which draw on the additional illustrative material mentioned above and which give an opportunity for the reader to extend and explore his or her learning experience of the language."

And the final paragraph states:

"The preparation of this second edition is based on the first edition of the book, [...]. Two Research Assistants, [....], carried out much of the important work of assembling the illustrative material. The present revision, however, could not have been completed without help and contribution from Mrs Yip Li Quzhen, who closely monitored the vocabulary progression, partially revamped the exercises and compiled the vocabulary list.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Thank you samitakamaki, I've just descovered schaum's Chinese grammar... I am now thinking wether to get Chinese Grammar: A grammar and workbook (the newest edition you've recommended), or schaum's Chinese grammar... which one do you think is better? :/

I've seen both the 1st and 2nd edition for Intermediate Chinese. Chapter 2 in the 2nd edition book has an additional 2 sections plus it is almost 200 pages longer (the whole book, not chapter 2).

btw, are you looking at the hard cover version? The hard cover version of the 2nd edition was much more expensive on Amazon UK - I opted for the paperback which was not much more expensive than the 1st edition.

The hard cover version is at a prohibitive price.. haven't even looked at it LoL I looked at the first and second edition of Basic Chinese paperback. First edition one is at a permissive price, second edition one is a bit pricey, but I think I will fork out the extra money to get good value nevertheless.