Chinese-Forums

Study Abroad or Apply Directly?

gracena

Hello everyone! I was wondering if it would be better to go study in China through a study abroad program or just applying directly to the university? Of course, there are many pros and cons for each, but I just can't seem to choose an option. As a Korean-American girl who has lived her whole life in America that barely went out of the country, applying through a study abroad program is seemingly much safer, yet more expensive. They also take care of all the Visa and admission process for you. But, applying directly would be way cheaper. Any suggestions on your guys' experiences? Thanks!

I suppose it depends how much cheaper. Visa and accommodation are pretty annoying to sort out....if it's only a few hundred dollars more expensive it might be worth it? first went with an internship program then switched to a private language school when that finished. You can get much much cheaper chinese tuition 1 on 1 when you're actually in China.....so my advice would be go with a short program but change your tickets to stay, and then get some local friends to help you find an apartment and a school that does 1 to 1 tuition - you'll learn a lot quicker that way than if you go to a uni with big classes

• Like 1

I went to a school called 'Purple Bamboo' and paid something like 110 yuan for every hour and a half.....a school called 'That's Mandarin' is also pretty good. A lot of friends went there. Both those places will teach 1 to 1. Depends what you want too. If you want to get good at Chinese without spending loads, these training centres are pretty good. Alternatively if you want more of a 'study abroad' scheme then do the universities. You'll meet more people and probably have more fun! Alternatively if you want to get awesome at Chinese and you have a lot of money to spend apply to the Tsinghua IUP program - you get 1 to 1 tuition and a university.

• Like 1

To Yialanliu: Thank you for your response! :) I am currently a freshman in college right now and I was going to go to Peking through my school, but unfortunately couldn't get in because I was missing a prerequisite class. So I still have my later years to apply, but I do want to go my sophomore year for a variety of reasons, which is why I'm trying to apply directly or through a study abroad program. If you don't mind me asking, do the universities normally offer credits if applied directly? I know they offer a certificate of completion, but my advisor said that wouldn't help in giving me credits. Oh bummers.

To thechamps: I will for sure keep that in mind! :) thank you! However, as you mentioned above, I do want a "study abroad" type of experience so maybe applying to a university might be a better option?

However, as you mentioned above, I do want a "study abroad" type of experience so maybe applying to a university might be a better option?

In that case, definitely do a university program. Whether to use a study abroad agency or go independently depends entirely on what your own universities policies are regarding transfer credits. If possible/transferable, I'd go with the independent application as you'll most likely save a bundle (thousands) and all you'll lose is airport pickup (which you really shouldn't be afraid of in Beijing or most other 1st-tier cities). Check with your registrar.

If you don't mind me asking, do the universities normally offer credits if applied directly? I know they offer a certificate of completion, but my advisor said that wouldn't help in giving me credits. Oh bummers.

For my university, you go through the school or you are out of luck for credit transfers. This also has to do with tuition costs. Most schools require you to pay tuition if you want credits. So when I was at PKU, even though tuition is very cheap for PKU, I still paid Northeastern prices. So what might end up happening is you pay more. Pay once for the program. Pay full tuition to your local schol. Whereas applying through local school, they will make you pay full local school tuition and give a portion to PKU.

I do want a "study abroad" type of experience so maybe applying to a university might be a better option?

I would say University as well for you. It's the only way you'll live in the dorms [1] and get the "study abroad" experience. Otherwise, you'll basically be living by yourself or with a roommate miles from campus. Which can be a good experience, but it's not the same.

[1] Note that in most universities in China, you'll be placed into the "foreigners'" dorm. This has both good and bad parts, but you should be aware of it.