Chinese-Forums

Are Iphones and IPads common in Beijing?

xiaotao

Where I live in the U.S., IPhones and IPads are very common. Lots of young people have them. Kids are comfortable with using these as learning tools.

How common is it to see middle schoolers with IPhones and IPads in Beijing? My kid is going to Beijing for a short Chinese program and I am debating whether it's a good idea to take these along.

The latest statisics I read about it is that developed chinese citys are ranked 3th worldwide in how many smartphones per 100 people (after singapure and australia) so smartphones are very very common.

I don´t know how common they are for middle schoolers but I can tell you that in the classes I take with chinese students lately more and more have ipads or kindles to read the books we have to read for the course so at least at university level such devices are very common I guess.

I don't know about iPads but iPhones are a relatively common sight when commuting in Beijing. That doesn't mean a majority of people have them, but just that if you're out commuting you are likely to see a handful. Using one in public is not something that would attract a lot of attention, although one would want to be aware of the potential for pickpocketing (which is true with any type of smart phone in any major city's metro/bus system).

• Like 1

Last time I went to China was exactly a year ago, and a great number of people had some sort of smartphone, including iPhones. I do not remember seeing any iPads or tablets at that time.

Very common now. Especially among the middle class or higher which is probably the circle most foreigners live in/go to school with.

Just would like to note though, is an ipad necessary for a child? I would argue no. Get a laptop, at least that can be used for homework much more effectively. Also, schools ban cell phones and ipads, Education is taken seriously and if it can distract others, it's treated more seriously than in the US.

Take any subway line in Beijing and you will see hundreds of iPhones and a fair sprinkling of iPads, MP4 players etc. I use my iPad when I am out in about in Beijing all the time, never had a problem - then again I am a 25 year old bear of a man, haha.

Also, If your kid is going to be interacting with local Chinese kids, his iPad will be the envy of his classmates and everyone will be wanting to be his friend to play Angry Birds/Plants vs Zombies. :)

• Like 1

As said, many many iPhones and iPads on the subway. I never see middle school kids on the subway though. If those gadgets are useful to your child now, bring them along. If s/he doesn't need them and no-one in his class or program uses them, s/he can always leave them in the suitcase.