Chinese-Forums

Best university for Chinese language studies in Tianjin?

ZhangKaiRong

Hello everybody!

After learning Mandarin for 2 years, I finally got a good 1-year-long scholarship to China.

My teacher suggested to go to the northern part of China, especially Jinan, Qingdao and Tianjin, because their universities teach Mandarin well and the people living in these cities also speak the mainstream Mandarin dialect, so I can practice my knowledge outside classes as well, which would be awesome. I read a lot about these cities, and Tianjin seemed the best choice for me.

My only problem is that I have to create a preference list of 3 universities at the laihua page, but I don't really know which uni to choose.

I heard that Nankai is a very good one, so I put it to the first place. Any other tips? Maybe Tianjin University, Tianjin Normal University or Tianjin Foreign Studies University? Honestly I don't have a clue what can be the difference between these unis, so any help would be appreciated!

Thx for your help in advance

• 5 months later...
My teacher suggested to go to the northern part of China, especially Jinan, Qingdao and Tianjin, because their universities teach Mandarin well and the people living in these cities also speak the mainstream Mandarin dialect, so I can practice my knowledge outside classes as well, which would be awesome. I read a lot about these cities, and Tianjin seemed the best choice for me.

Since I just moved to Tianjin, I will give you my 五毛, so to speak. If what you're after is standard Mandarin, then this is a bad place to be. Tianjiners absolutely mangle the tones. The other day I went to buy glue, jiāoshuǐ and the lady behind the counter pronounced it as jiǎoshuí. I live in a budget hotel which is poorly sound-proofed. The other night, the neighbours next door talked all night and I couldn't help but notice that Tianjinhua has a very distinct melody that is far from standard.

Having said that...I think the city is great and I have found the locals to be amazingly friendly.

If "standard mandarin" is going to be your sole criterion for deciding, then I would recommend Beijing or Harbin. Beijing has the whole talk-like-a-pirate thing, and in Harbin it sometimes sound like the people have food in their mouth when they speak. But the tones will be as close to the standard as is possible to get apart from watching CCTV...

(Oh yeah, and avoid Shenyang as well.)

• Like 1

I rearranged my preferential list before applying, I put Qinhuangdao on the first spot, Tianjin on the second and Qingdao to the third, and I got my scholarship to Qinhuangdao, I'm here just right now, and I do not regret my choice. Small cities are just fine for me, during my travel to here I spent 2 days in Beijing, but I didn't like it at all. Here in QHD everything seems perfect for me, the teachers are very good, there are only 10 people in my group, the Chinese students are nice as well, I made some friends, they are from here, and they speak quite clear mandarin, I can understand them well.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...