Chinese-Forums

Gyms in Beijing?

lukejmo

Check thebeijinger.com - there was some info there last I checked.

I don't really have any advice on Dongcheng, unfortunately. I belonged to Nirvana Fitness for a while but I wouldn't recommend. Overpriced and their business model isn't great; they might be out of business any day (temporarily or permanently).

Powerhouse at Dongzhimen is lovely but super expensive, think: 2500 for 6 months. Hosa/Haosha near Dongsishitiao/Dongzhimen is cheaper, but still 1170 for 6 months last time I checked. Ozone should be about 2000-2500 per year. The small gym in the basement of an apartment building in SunCity offered 6 months around 950-1000RMB from what I can remember. The main problem with all gyms is the wide range of prices and inflation in Beijing and your ability to negotiate down the price; it's best to go in with some knowledge from other members on the price. For example, you could go in and get an initial price and then track down someone who belongs and ask them what they're paying. With that said, I found most of the places above unwilling to negotiate any lower last year when I was looking. Depending on where you are in Dongcheng, the best places to find gyms are new high-rise apartment buildings (gyms usually in the basement) and in office buildings near subway stations. Ask for a tour and be prepared to negotiate hard.

• Like 1

I had a few friends using one in the basement of the China Life tower, just east of Chaoyangmen. I went on a few guest passes and found it pretty nice, although pricey - I think around 4500 RMB a year. Outside the 3rd ring memberships under 2000RMB and even 1000RMB per year are possible.

I'm not certain, but I'm guessing in Dongcheng you'll be facing prices closer to the higher end. Searching in English on Google Maps you can see a few places highlighted near Dengshikou. http://g.co/maps/rqtdg

Searching in Chinese on Baidu Ditu... http://j.map.baidu.com/-Ul9d

• Like 1

• 3 months later...