Chinese-Forums

程咬金...

BaiYingying

Hello everyone,

I'd be glad if someone could help me understand the meaning of this sentence:

大家知道,程咬金就是私盐贩子,看他的个头,应该不止卖一百斤私盐,居然还能通过大赦出狱,确实让人费解。

I've searched each and every charcter but there's something I'm clearly not getting... :|

Thank you for reading this, hope you can help!

I got this page about this 程咬金 HERE. You can have a look of those pictures of him. For translation please check following:

As known to all, Cheng Yao Jin (CYJ) sells illegal salt (私盐). He is such a big guy(他的

个头) that you can tell it must be more than 50kg illegal salt that he has sold. To everybody’s surprise (unbelievably), he get out of jail during the amnesty.

--------------------------------------

I am not sure whether you translated 个头into “head” but that can surely cause confusion to many. 个头 refers to the “size” of a person and here the indication is “he is a big guy”.

• Like 2

@imron, yes, I thought it was the name of a person, but since it hadn't been previously mentioned, literally came out of nowhere, I was a little confused. Thank you for making that clear!

@shinewind, thank you! yes, I thought that it had to do with his head, not his importance... Thank you!

@skylee, thank you again for helping! I appreciate it!