Chinese-Forums

Bad experiences foreigners go through while living in China?

relus

Hello all. I wanted to know some of the bad experiences foreigners experienced while living in a major city(shanghai, beijing, guangzhou). What kind of bad experiences did you go through... do taxi drivers try to you off, do the police/cops hassle you, what about the general population, are people trying to take advantage of you just because you are not a native or maybe they think you are wealthy? Any real experience is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

from my limited experience of living in shanghai, the taxi drivers don't try to scam you too much, & the police are generally nice (but don't cross the police in china & always admit you are wrong regardless of whether it is true or not)... some people will try to take advantage of you in china whether you are a foreigner or a chinese, it matters not...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I traveled independently through much of China a few years ago. I had very few, if any, problems. The people, for the most part are generous and friendly. Take some business cards or printed materials (postcards are good) to give to people you meet. The only time I felt nervous was one time when I became lost on foot in Shanghai. If that happens, just keep walking, enjoy the sights, and you'll eventually find your way out. Carry the address of your hotel or home. You can always give it to a taxi driver to get you back to where you started. Don't bargain with taxis; use the meter. The rates are very reasonable. Be cautious with the traffic; it can be ruthless.