Chinese-Forums

Obtaining a refund from a language school

Aserion

• New Members

Hello everyone.

I have been planning to spend a month in China to learn Mandarin Chinese, so mostly in the Beijing area. I have found several schools, and one got my attention. I won't quote its name here, but it's nothing negative, as I have only seen good posts on them, here and elsewhere.

Anyway, my posting here has nothing to do with that school in particular.

I am asked to pay the totality of the course before leaving. So here comes my question: if this turns out to be bad, what are my possibilities, if any, not to lose my money? Is there a way to ask for guarantees?

In addition, if anyone experienced something related, please share, may it be positive or negative!

Thanks in advance for your answers !

Ask them. I'd imagine any school will have a refund policy, or be happy to come up with one, and they'll understand people are going to be nervous to be paying up front, from abroad.

That said, I'd avoid paying more than a few weeks up front, and if it's a long course would want to just pay a deposit.

• Like 1

yeah, one week course fee deposit is reasonable, I think any school should have a refund policy, however, you should check out with the school. If the school is running a honest business, you should be okay. but also I've heard some negative experience as well.

I am asked to pay the totality of the course before leaving.

I personally would just simply not do that, especially if you have no prior experience with them. I'd find another school if need be. Asking for a deposit is reasonable, but you should try to pay as little up front as possible, no matter how good their advertising looks and no matter how liberal their stated refund policy is.

• 2 weeks later...

yes, I would also only pay a deposit. Get their refund policy in writing beforehand. Besides the fact that you never know if a school is good or not, if something happens in your life that wont allow you to take the course for whatever reason, you dont want to loose all that money!