Chinese-Forums

Chances of getting into ICLP at NTU?

jellies

• New Members

International Chinese Language Program - National Taiwan University

I am currently a university student studying business with Taiwanese roots. In the past, I've neglected Chinese, and have recently found out about NTU's ICLP. (My Chinese is conversational, at best, verbally, and nearly zilch in terms of reading and writing.) I want to apply there and study next year, the summer after I graduate (I'm currently a junior).

I haven't taken any Chinese courses, but would love to study there. Do I have to have any pre-reqs to apply there? And is there a high-acceptance rate? From what I've seen on here, it seems "hard" to get into, despite my opinion that the application process is simple.

Do they have preference in students they accept? And do I have to have any documented courses in Chinese?

I'm planning to study there for the year program starting this fall, but I probably won't be there next summer. I only have so much money. :)

From what I know, you'll do much better there if you study as much Chinese as you can up until you go. Reading and writing too. I believe you'll be placed based on how you do in both spoken and written Chinese during the placement test.

They used to take only intermediate students and above, but they now teach any level.

They pick students who have a compelling need to use Chinese at a professional level in their careers, and who demonstrate potential to learn in a very fast-paced, intensive learning environment. You should be aware that a large majority of people who study at ICLP intend to work in academia afterwards, so the classes are geared that way. They offer a few business Chinese classes (see the curriculum section of their website), but any class they have is only offered if there are enough interested students.

Another option that many 華僑 are very happy with as far as I know is MTC. I'm studying there right now, but they also have a separate track for heritage learners who already speak the language at a conversational level, and it's designed to get you reading and writing quickly. The books they use for those courses seem to be very good. After those courses they also offer several business Chinese courses too.

However, no matter which program you choose, I would recommend coming for longer than a summer if you possibly can. If your goal is to reach a useful level in the language, you're going to need longer.

• Like 1

• New Members

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into MTC, I've only ever recently heard of ICLP.

I'd want to spend more time there, but I currently only have time to do summer. I intend to start work in August.

Mind if I ask if you're currently a student or studying there for another reason?