Chinese-Forums

Cantopop ..

whiteorchid

• 1 month later...

I love Beyond since teenage. Recently, they broke up.

:( ..... :cry:

Think they are really exhausted.

I like Sam too. He is an old uncle now.

What future holds for Hongkong music scene now?......... if folks out here who are into canto stuff know what I mean.

The future of HongKong's entertainment industry is grim. Already, competitions from Taiwan and Korea are exposing the weaknesses of Hong Kong's overly commercialized "pop culture". What does HongKong have in the house now? Looks or talent? It doesn't seem like HongKong has anyone that really shines in either of those two categories, and you really need both to be competitive nowadays. The only Cantonese song I listened to in the past 2 months was 女人味, compared to the other 40 or so mandarin songs I listen to everyday. Just a few years ago, it was the other way around. Unfortunately, it seems the EI in hongkong is still trying to cash on its outdated formula...

It really seems that the future of Hongkong concerning its entertainment is not to be taken too optimistic. There is no singer at the moment who really convinced me in the past few months. I also liked 女人味, really great. The deaths of Leslie Cheung (my favourite singer) and Anita Mui weakende Hongkong music scene, that is hard but true. I loved them both very much. Faye Wong is another great singer but as I heard she is not planning new projects at the moment. Hope, the situation will change in the near future.