Chinese-Forums

Visas for EU citizens

zhongguo2020

Hello,

I am planning to go to China to study Chinese for a year. I talked to a few language schools and it seems that only universities can offer student visas. Is this correct? Or did I just speak to the wrong schools?

I have been told they offer "visa assistance" which sounds a bit scary to me, as in the end "it is my responsibility" to make sure I have a visa. And I have no idea how I could do that. Have never been to China before.

I would like to stay there for about one year (maybe more - who knows) primarily for studying chinese. Any thoughts?

I think there are some private schools that can issue visas, but most cant. Mine could not and I had to purchase it through a visa agent. Cost me 2.500RMB for 6 months, so not cheap, but this seems to work quite well - they seem to have some "friends" in the visa office who get some "benefits" for issuing visas.

There are 3 types of visas that can be used to study in China. F (business visits/short term study and internships), X (long-term study) and L(tourism).

Very few private language schools can offer X visas but most will offer you assistance to apply for an F visa or L visa. The longest L or F visa you will be able to get will probably be about 6 months - enquire at your closest Chinese embassy or consulate because this depends on your nationality and where you apply. Also check multiple-entry visas, as these might give you a bit more time if you take a trip overseas or to Hong Kong in the middle of your stay. I would avoid visa agents if possible.

If you want to study in China for more than 6 months, I would consider a (non-degree) program at a Chinese university or if you study at a private school that doesn't provide visa assistance, get the longest F or L visa that you can in your home country and then split your study up with a visa run to Hong Kong where you will be able to apply for a new visa and then return to the mainland to continue your study

Also check multiple-entry visas, as these might give you a bit more time if you take a trip overseas or to Hong Kong in the middle of your stay.

You can either get a 3month multiple, or 6 month single. So it's not always the best idea to go for multiple entry.

You can either get a 3month multiple, or 6 month single. So it's not always the best idea to go for multiple entry.

You're right

But again, I recommend he check with the embassy as not all visa types are available to all nationalities. E.g. gov't has recently stopped approving student visas for Nigerians, even though this is not official policy (潜规则)and I'm fairly certain the 6 month F visa is not available to all nationalities. Having said that, he's an EU citizen so he shouldn't have much trouble getting a longer term F visa.

I have been told they offer "visa assistance" which sounds a bit scary to me, as in the end "it is my responsibility" to make sure I have a visa. And I have no idea how I could do that. Have never been to China before.
This is normal, as the school is not the entity that gives you a visa and also has no idea what your background is, they cannot guarantee you a visa. But as they have had many students who needed visa, they have some experience with the process and thus can offer you assistance.

As said above, check with your local Chinese embassy/consulate what you need to get a visa. If you can't get a student visa, it's perfectly legal to study on an L (tourist) of F visa. In some cases it might be easier to go through a visa agent (in your own country), for example if you live very far from the embassy/consulate.

Good luck!

Right, in China only University can offer Student X visa, most of private language school can help you get a F visa, it should be no problem for EU citizen to get a F visa. First, we would suggest to check with your local Chinese embassy/consulate to see what's kinda of tourist visa you can get; the second option would be to ask those language schools see if which school can provide you a F invitation letter, if so, you will be able to apply for a F visa from your country with this letter, I think it will be a 6 months F visa with single entry. We know a Swiss family who had a 6 months single entry invitation letter, but Chinese embassy/consulate gave them a 6 months 2 entries F visa which was a pretty good deal. I don't think you will be able to apply for a F visa without the F visa invitation letter from the school.

BICC say they can get student visas, but I don't think we've had any members actually go there. But the best thing to do is probably to figure out which school you want to go to, then figure out how to get there. No point in choosing an unsuitable school just for the sake of an easy visa. You'll need to factor in some time and money for visa extensions, agency fees, trips to Hong Kong, but it's hard to say how much as it'll depend on your initial visa, where you are in the country, local policies at the time.

Zhongguo2020 : I work for BICC. Yes BICC (Beijing International Chinese College) is the only private school in Beijing which can offer you a X student visa (JW202 form) unless you are from one of these countries:

• Nigeria
  • Pakistan
  • Sri Lanka
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Afghanistan
  • Liberia
  • Uzbekistan
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Philippines
  • Ghana
  • Saudi Arabia