Chinese-Forums

Read Menu

the_p0et

I'm wanting to learn how to read a basic menu here in Taiwan. I would like to know how to read the characters for beef, pork, chicken, etc... The basic food words.

Most of what I've found so far are programs with random characters that don't let you decide what category to learn.

Something free, please! :wink:

This book apparently is pretty good for people just interested in deciphering Chinese menus. Actually, just looking at the sample pages that Amazon has in the link above (click on "Look inside this book") will give you a pretty good foundation at deciphering several dish names.

the_p0et,

you need to check out this site, it's owned by someone who posts often on this forum. It's a free dictionary where you can look up words by either English, pinyin, or Chinese characters. If you look up the characters it will show you the meaning and the pinyin. I find this so helpful for reading through online newspaper articles without getting stuck on hard words, and it is much easier than using a radical index.

http://chinese.primezero.com/soleri/zw.php

The problem with menus and names of dishes is that the name often doesn't indicate the ingredients. I find this to be more true the more expensive the restaurant!

Also, identical dishes (or near identical) can have different names in different parts of the the country.

Among my burdonsome duties is occasionally teaching a course in translation theory in the local university and I always tell students that translating menus is the most difficult.

When I am asked to do it, I always agree! On condition that I can sample each dish!

Sometimes you translate, sometimes you have to explain.