Chinese-Forums

Translation, please

Cyberian

Hi,

I need some help on translation. I have failed to understand the results given to me by e-dictionaries and e-translators.

Please translate this:

欧若拉

It was translated to:

1. Europe if pulls

2. Ou Rela (This even English?)

Obviously, this is a poor translation.

Also, please check back to this thread time-to-time. I will be posting new problems encountered.

Thank you for reading, your patience, and help. :mrgreen:

De nada, Cyberian!

My Chinese is still very poor, but I can read and understand it without too much difficulty. When I read 歐若拉, it was pretty clear to me that it must be a 音譯 (sound translation), and did a Google search adding a random ordinary English word to the search. In that way I can find Chinese pages that also include some English text. That sort of thing is useful when you come cross an obviously foreign name.

It is easy to see that 歐若拉 is a "sound translation" because of the characters involved, which are typically used to render foreign names. Other characters commonly used in "sound translations" are 羅, 斯, 馬, 阿. 爾.

By any chance, do you know what she is saying in the foreign language in the beginning of the song?

阿拉斯加 = Alaska

This name is also made up of four typical 音譯 characters. Note that 加 jia1 is often used to render the "ka" or "ca" syllable as in 加拿大, Canada.

Babelfish translator has failed me again!!!

Can someone PLEASE suggest me a super duper uber good translator?

I am trying to get this translated:

范曉萱 還有別的辦法嗎

The name into pinyin, and the translation of the song name.

What are the steps I need to take if I wanted to convert the above into Simplified. Then the pinyin of the name. Followed by the translation of the song? I am very limited when it comes to translation sources.

范曉萱

fan4 xiao3 xuan1

還有別的辦法嗎 means 'Is there another way?'

One way of converting between traditional and simplified characters, and pinyin, is to use NJStar wordprocessor. Anything you type, or copy and paste from the net, can be converted in the processor. I'm not aware of any easier ways, but I guess some must exist.

(Thanks, seesaw, I changed it.)