Chinese-Forums

Anyone use 微信 (WeChat)?

tooironic

Exactly as the title says.

My friend got me onto it and I must say the "Drift Bottle" app is quite fun. Basically you send out random audio messages and you can get them back as well. Can be good listening practice as most of them are in Chinese.

(For the uninitiated, 微信 (WeChat) is an app for iPhone, Android, etc. It integrates instant messaging, Facebook, QQ, and a number of other functions.)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I use Weixin, got me in touch with loads of old friends I lost contact with. Pretty good app, so good it inspired me to download WhatsApp which is supposedly the Western version of it. WhatsApp sucks in comparison though.

• 1 year later...

>>>Basically you send out random audio messages and you can get them back as well. Can be good listening practice as most of them are in Chinese.

WeChat is audio only? And they are supposed to repeat back by audio only? I thought WeChat was supposed to be texting that appears visually.

Nowadays such apps support 1) text messages, 2) voice messages, 3) voice calls, 4) video calls and 5) games and other add-ons.  I use Line instead of WeChat but they are similar.  Whatsapp pales in comparison (plus whatsapp is a paid app!!)

I just signed up for Weibo. So far it looks like a hybrid of Twitter and Instagram with a 99.9% Chinese audience. I can't use it without translation help yet, but I figure it's just another learning goal for me to overcome.

• 3 weeks later...

My news - comes from Weixin (Wechat)… my Chinese "pop culture" comes from Weibo.  For me the the two are critical to keep up with whats going on in China and be up to date and able to follow conversations with Chinese friends.  

• Like 1