Chinese-Forums

what D are you looking for?

roddy

Has anyone else noticed this kind of usage of English letters in Chinese sentences. I find it quite amusing.

Colleague 5 minutes ago trying to read a scrawled email address

这是什么K. 阿, 是uk的k

Assistant in a CD/VCD/DVD shop to a customer coming in

你好, 看什么D (ie C-, VC-, or DV-D)

Roddy

During my high school and college days, teachers sometimes didn’t say, “The answer is ‘A’ ”, but said, “The answer is ‘apple’.”

在我读高中和大学的时候,老师们有时侯不说:“答案是A。”,而是说:“答案是apple。”

Sometimes students asked, “Sir, is the answer‘C’ or ‘D’?” “ 'D' for 'dog'”, said the teacher.

有时侯学生会问:“老师,答案是C还是D啊?”“就是dog 的那个D。”老师答。

A for apple

B for boy

C for cat

D for dog

Cheers! :lol:

I also saw some in email, like BF or LG- boyfriend (我和我BF), MM I think is Meimei, ML means 做那個, call (call我). I'm not sure if i got those right.

In my old Chinese class our teacher was talking about 'AV'and I put up my hand and said '老師請問av是什麽?' Everyone else was Korean and Japanese, looked at me like I was crazy...

:D:oops::D:oops:

I know people in Taiwan who write all their emails in English -- even to their Taiwanese relatives, friends, and coworkers. And these aren't all people who studied overseas or who were English majors or something. One woman was a Chinese major and works for a Chinese language magazine.

UK de K??? To differentiate it from the other Ks?

• 2 weeks later...

I was playing cards (big 2) with some Taiwanese girls. Two of the same would be 'pei': 'qi pei' for two sevens, 'shi'er pei' for two queens. I asked if that was wo pei ni qu de pei, but they informed me it stood for 'pair'.

ML is zuoai, I suspect. But what is AV?