Chinese-Forums

Google Maps or Baidu for directions?

rkraft

I'm in Chengdu now. First time here. My Mandarin: a little bit; nothing to brag about. Went out to find the sights in the city center yesterday: Tianfu Square (天府广场 - tiān fǔ guǎng chǎng), People's Park (人民公园 - rén mín gōng yuán), and Jinli Ancient Street (锦里古街 - jǐn lǐ gǔ jiē). Google suggested taking a bus about 600 m away from my hotel (ibis Yongfeng -成都永丰宜必思酒店 - chéngdū yǒngfēng yí bì sī jiǔdiàn), then continuing on the subway. Got me to Tianfu Square without problems, but later I was wondering if really none of the busses in front of my hotel would have gotten me to a subway station. Not that I mind walking, but crossing that huge road alone isn't much fun and taking the safe route via the overpass would make it about 1 km to the bus stop.

Whenever I asked Google on my Android, it always got "my location" right – good to know. But Google's idea about the location of Wuhouci Temple (武侯祠- wǔ hóu cí) and adjacent Jinli Street was totally off. Maybe it's time to go back to the hotel? Google told me it would take about 40 minutes to walk and about 55 minutes using public transportation, so that was an easy decision. On my way, I saw street signs to Wuhouci, and since the road I was crossing had the same name I turned and actually found the place. After all, it was meant to be…

Later I researched my options to get to the famous Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding (成都大熊猫繁育研究基地 - chéngdū dàxióngmāo fányù yánjiū jīdì). Google had completely different ideas about the various busses I should take than the Panda Base and other websites, so I finally ventured over to Baidu to see what results that search would get me. Actually, Baidu recommends the bus routes mentioned on the Panda Base site, starting with a bus right in front of my hotel and using the subway for part of the trip. Travel time according to Baidu is 1 hr 40 min compared to Google's 2 hrs 13 minutes.

Looking at the results, the easy way isn't always a smart one. Unfortunately (for those of us who find the Chinese characters somewhat challenging) there's no pinyin in Baidu, it's all in hanzi, and MDBGs mouse-over often can't be used. And it was a little tricky to find the correct start and end points of my journey. Attached is what I got (in print view):

Not bad, eh? Ever wondered how much a trip should cost by taxi? Look at the line between the directions and the map…

Because I'd like to be at the Panda base as early as possible, I'll opt for the less than $10 cab ride in the morning. Maybe on the way back I'll feel adventurous again…

post-47646-0-66439000-1337090920_thumb.png

I was just there last week! [We took a taxi. Tried to cheat us on the way back.]

Another option for the way back is to take the 87 bus to the end, then hop on a taxi for the rest. That way you still get your Chinese bus experience, but without taking so long.

That taxi fare seems too low. [unless we got cheated both ways.] In addition, I'd expect any taxi driver to take the 3rd ring road and not drive through all of Chengdu. So I'd expect about 80 yuan.

Also, in the screenshot you provided, I don't see any subway ride, just 3 bus rides. ["using the subway for part of the trip"]

I didn't try using google maps for getting around, but I did note that google maps has an error in which the coordinates for the street view is different than the satellite view. For example, if you look at this map http://maps.google.c...uan,+China&z=17 , centered at Tianfu square, then switch to satellite view, you'll see the square moves to the upper left. It has the same problem in Shanghai: http://maps.google.c...+China&t=m&z=16 .

So after that, I didn't trust google maps anymore.

Actually, calculating the taxi fare isn't that impressive. If you just get normal driving directions, it tells you the driving distance. From there it's a simple calculation to know the fare if you know the cost. But it is a nice feature.

I was at the panda base a few weeks ago, I sincerely doubt you can get there for 10 yuan in a taxi, 80 yuan sounds more likely.

Alternatively, if you're not too far from Jinli, there is a free shuttle bus leaving from Wuhouci to panda base + Sanxingdui. It's a bit tourgroup-ish in that I found I had a little bit too little time at both places, but it was convenient.

Sanxingdui by the way I very, very strongly recommend unless you're completely uninterested in history. Near Chengdu a lot of very old things have been dug up from the same time as the Shang dynasty but clearly from a completely different culture. Some really cool things in the museum there.

Thanks for all your replies :-)

It's my third time traveling in China, but my first time really trying to figure out public transportation other than subways. So this has been quite an interesting experience.

I went to the Panda Base, taxi to go there during busy morning traffic: 58 yuan; taxi back during quiet early afternoon time: 80 yuan (no meter; original request was 90 yuan). When I mentioned the $10, I was thinking in Canadian dollars ;-) - of course, there's no way to go that far for 10 yuan. Going there was so worth it; I'll never forget the day and I took home a lot of great panda photos.

Thanks for the tip about Sanxingdui, Lu. It turns out that I'll have a few extra days in Chengdu; not enough time to go to Jiuzhaigou, so that sounds like an interesting alternative.

jbradfor, you are probably right, and it is quite easy to calculate the cab fare. In general, I've heard so often "if you know the current market price..." but I seldom do (for example, know how much 3 apples should cost); so I found it convenient that for once I don't have to think and guess.

In general, I've heard so often "if you know the current market price..." but I seldom do

The rate is posted on the window of each cab. But you're right, it's much more important to get a feel for "about" how much it should cost.

If you have a couple of extra days, you might want to consider Luodai (落帶古鎮) as well. I'm not sure it's worth the time / trouble to get there, but it does have some of the few authentic older streets / buildings in China left. It's also know for having a lot of places that sell "traditional" and hakka snacks / food, very different food, bunch of items I've never seen in other parts of China. One place was even selling grilled insects, she had about 8 different types. [Previously, I told myself next time I saw grilled scorpians I would force myself to try one. Once I saw it, I knew there was no way.]

• 2 weeks later...
Google's public transport info in China is useless. The baidu app on Iphone is great (much better than google maps in any location), I assume android would be similar.

Yes, although Baidu sometimes gets the start/end times wrong (the Chengdu subway is one example), and they're somewhat of a pain to find (you have to click the point on the map where the stop is).