Chinese-Forums

Spending the night at the airport without overstaying my visa?

zhouhana

Hi guys,

My China visa expires on May 31st and when I search China Eastern's website for flights Xiamen-Osaka I get, among others, this alternative:

May 31st 8:55 PM-10.30 PM: Xiamen -> Nanjing

June 1st 8:10 AM-11:20 AM: Nanjing -> Osaka

The price for this is 1870 RMB, which means it's almost 700 RMB cheaper compared to the morning flight on May 31st, plus I'd get almost an entire day extra with my family in Xiamen.

The question is, if I go with this trip, will I overstay my visa? Or will it be possible for me go through customs ("leave China") already when boarding the Xiamen-Nanjing flight or before midnight at the airport in Nanjing? Are the customs open that late? Can I spend the night in transit or "no mans land" for almost 10 hours at the airport?

Anyone with experience of something like this? I had a friend call China Eastern and only got the very Chinese reply "it's better to leave China on the 31st".

Not sure about the legality and going through customs issues, but perhaps you can look into what the fine/penalty/punishment would be for overstaying one day? Might be less than 700 yuan (not to mention a day with your family), in which case it could be worth it even with the overstaying.

I wouldn't suggest overstaying your visa unless you aren't intending to ever come back to China again.

I'm only guessing here, but I think your plan is not really feasible, because you will almost certainly not be able to go through immigration when leaving Xiamen. You might be able to check in all the way through to Osaka, but arriving in Nanjing, you will still have to clear immigration, and as you pointed out, it may not be open that late if there are no more flights leaving, and you also have to bear in mind the possibility that your flight from Xiamen to Nanjing will be delayed for an hour or so, in which case you won't be able to make it in time anyway. The other possibility is that you have to check in again in Nanjing, but usually check-in only opens 2-3 hours before a flight departs, so you will have to wait until the following day to check in, and you can't pass immigration before you check in.

Look into purchasing an extension from your local PSB. I don't know your visa type or exact circumstances, but paying for a 30 day extension is not unheard of. If that isn't possible I think you'll be better of purchasing the earlier flight - one never knows how how a day overstay may adversely affect a future application, and the difference in price is almost negated by the fine of a 1 day overstay (500 RMB).

Thanks, guys. Overstaying is not an option; I accidentally did that a while ago when I waited until the last day and then fog prevented my ferry from leaving China. I also tried to extend my visa just last week (the plan was to leave China around June 15th), but only got until the 31st of May -- maybe due to my overstay. I guess I was hoping for someone to say "it'll definitely work, no worries", but I realize the only sane thing is to just book the earlier flight. Thanks all for helping me make up my mind.

• Like 1

What do you think about your Xiamen experience now that it's almost time to go back home? I've enjoyed visiting there and wouldn't mind going back.

Did the school work out well? Am particularly interested in that. I've read bits of your blog, but am still hoping you will summarize some of your findings in another thread for the rest of us when you have time.

Hey, you! :) You know, I've been to about 25 cities in China now and Xiamen is still number one on my list. The air is clean, the weather warm (most of the year), Gulangyu and the old parts of town so postcard perfect, and Mandarin FUN and the university (with its beautiful campus) have both been great schools. I'll miss this place big time and will probably try to go back in a few years to see how it's evolved (although I'm a little worried I won't recognize it after all the changes that are planned - subway, etc.)

I'd been thinking of updating my original post about the private language schools. Glad you got me to do it finally: http://www.chinese-f...ools-in-xiamen/

Also, did you read my blog post about the international schools?

http://www.swedesinc...hich-one-better

A third post that might be of interest is this list of cafes for studying/working:

http://www.swedesinc...k-study-meetups

I'm hoping to get my step-son to write a bit about Manila Xiamen International School from his point of view, or to get an interview with him, but he's not that keen - wants to do other things when not busy with homework. However, if anyone reading this is wondering about MXIS, you're welcome to contact me.

• Like 1

Perfect! Many Thanks! Looks like I missed some of your blog posts. Appreciate the links.

It's time for me to take a second look at Xiamen. Kunming has changed a lot since I first began coming here (2007.)