Chinese-Forums

Aspiring Author

xyetay

• New Members

I live in the United States. I am writing a book that is in part about China. I am looking for someone that I can communicate with about the local customs, attitudes, and lifestyles. Part of what I am writing about is about is a fictional person from the Inner Mongolia area (Baotou/Dongsheng/Yulin region). I want to make sure that what I write about the communities in this area are believable. It is a fictional book that is about the interaction of different cultures. The book also deals with people in other parts of the worlds but I need to find someone who can help me make sure the part about Inner Mongolia is authentic.

Is there anyone you can recommend to me. Perhaps an existing author or an aspiring student? Ideally, the person has an interest in writing and describing people.

I prefer to communicate via email and will perhaps visit there in person someday.

An unusual request, but perhaps someone here can match me up with someone that would enjoy some thought experiments and sharing ideas with an American.

Thank you.

It is an unusual request. I would be hesitant about writing about something from secondhand knowledge.

One of the first rules I was taught about writing was write about what you know.

I think you are attempting a rather difficult subject, having not expeirenced any of it for your self.

The customs of people differ so much from place to place, just a few miles south, north, east, or west can change everything. this I think is true almost everywhere in the world.

You don't want to end up mixing up traditions and customs from several towns, villiages cities etc.

Good luck and be careful to get your facts correct :)