Chinese-Forums

Teaching Demo Interview

mackie1402

Hey.

So I have had an interview for a job teaching TOEFL and now I have a second interview arranged.

For this second interview I will have to do a demonstration lesson lasting between 5-10 minutes.

The only other thing is that this interview is on Skype and not in person.

I've never had to do a demo before and I don't really know where to start for a demo for the TOEFL level.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips on what I can do?

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just try to look white and capable of speaking a language other than Chinese. "Hello, How are you?" usually impresses, especially if followed up with "Fine thank you. And you?" provided the "And you?" is pronounced with a ludicrously exaggerated rising tone.

Singing a song might also help. It being June, I'd go for "Jingle Bells".

• Like 1

So I have had an interview for a job teaching TOEFL

I'm imaging that there won't be many pre-school or primary-aged children taking the TOEFL.

I'd also imagine anyone studying for the TOEFL will already know basic greetings.

You'll need to be familiar with the test format.

For this, I'd just do a short 10-minute lesson on a simple grammar point taken from a TOEFL prep book.

Be sure to keep the presentation stage short and sweet. Use lots of CCQs. Include some fun practice.

• Like 1

From my experience, many of the Chinese education institutions are not professional enough to know what they want themselves. Therefore, I agree to a certain extent with the comment above regarding "being White". What I suggest you to do, is to chose a topic from the spoken part of the exam and focus on that since in most cases, "foreign" teachers are mostly expected to teach the listening and speaking parts of the exam while local teachers teach the writing and reading part.

Hope it helps,

Ilya.

• 2 years later...