Chinese-Forums

Interviews at Chinese embassy and other visa troubles

antonjames

• New Members

Hi Guys,

I am currently in China on a tourist visa and I've found an English teaching job I want to take, while studying mandarin at the University for a year so I want to convert to a work visa and the company is in the process of getting all the documentation for me. Before I came to China I did my research and thought that I could convert to a work visa in Hong Kong, turns out that not the case anymore and seems that I need to go back to my home country (Australia) to apply at the Chinese embassy there.

This is of course a major pain and is very costly however since I can apply by post (I did my tourist visa this way) I am thinking of going to Thailand to stay with friends, posting and my passport and documents back express to my father via fed ex then getting him to post them to the Chinese visa center in Brisbane.

The only catch is it says you may be required to go to an interview if the Chinese embassy deems it necessary. This would of course ruin my whole plan. Has anyone (specifically from Australia) ever had to do this for a work visa or any other visa? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Anton

Another option is that your company can go through one of the intermediate agencies (sinovisa, traders link etc.) that can in some cases

do "wonders" - such as fixing your visa without leaving the country at all.

• New Members

Hey Guys

Thank you for your replies just to clarify the situation I have submitted my passport to the agency here and Im currently in the process of getting my invitation letter so I haven't got it yet. However my employer said that while a few months ago you could go to Hong Kong to get the visa that is no longer the case and you need to go back to your home country, I've checked with the Chinese embassy in Hong Kong and also many Chinese embassies in Asia that this is indeed the case. Hence my first message where I'm looking at posting it back.

Just_me thanks for the advice about the intermediate agencies my employer is actually talking to one at the moment but I'm not sure what will come of it, I also looked at the ones you suggested however they don't seem to have work visa's on their website. I'm in Chongqing so I guess that makes it a bit hard, do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Anton