Chinese-Forums

A couple miscellaneous questions...

yakeyglee

Hey all. Here are just a couple grammar miscellaneous structure questions/ambiguities that came up today that I'd like some feedback on. Feel free to answer any or all of them.

1. If I wanted to say "most interesting", would it be okay to say 最有意思的? The only reason I'm hesitant is because 有意思 isn't really an adjective (I think, at least... doesn't it literally mean "to have meaning" instead of the usual translation of "interesting"?). The sentence I'm trying to write is: 現在我説明爲什麽我覺得香港的文化真是中國的最有意思的。(Now, I'll explain to you why I think that the culture of Hong Kong is really China's most interesting.) [And even on a further side-note, would it be better to say "East Asia's most interesting", since Hong Kong is still somewhat distinct?]

2. If I wanted to say "to introduce one's-self" (specifically, for my purposes, "introduce myself"), could one say 介紹自己? In context, would "I will introduce myself" be "我會介紹自己". The only reason I'm hesitant is because I feel like it could be alternatively interpreted as "to introduce to myself"...though, I don't have the ear of a native speaker, so I wouldn't know. Any comments on that?

3. Does the structure 謝謝看完那個電影 make sense? It's hard to construct an exact English equivalent, so I just wanted to make sure... literally it's "Thanks for finishing watching that movie"...or, I guess better would be "Thanks for finishing up that movie".

Thank you! 謝謝您

康明

1. If I wanted to say "most interesting", would it be okay to say 最有意思的? The only reason I'm hesitant is because 有意思 isn't really an adjective (I think, at least... doesn't it literally mean "to have meaning" instead of the usual translation of "interesting"?). The sentence I'm trying to write is: 現在我説明爲什麽我覺得香港的文化真是中國的最有意思的。(Now, I'll explain to you why I think that the culture of Hong Kong is really China's most interesting.)

Yes. 有意思 is often used in daily life. 有趣 has the same meaning. 有趣 is more formal. 有意思 is more informal and colloquial. Chinese does not have many adjectives like english, such as windy, snowy, hairy.Chinese use 有or多 instead. 有風, 有雪, 多毛。

I would say

香港的文化在中國的文化中真的是最有意思的。or

香港的文化真的是中國的文化中最有意思的。or

香港的文化真的是中國最有意思的

3. Does the structure 謝謝看完那個電影 make sense? It's hard to construct an exact English equivalent, so I just wanted to make sure... literally it's "Thanks for finishing watching that movie"...or, I guess better would be "Thanks for finishing up that movie".

I would say 謝謝大家看完那個電影 or 謝謝你們看完那個電影

2. If I wanted to say "to introduce one's-self" (specifically, for my purposes, "introduce myself"), could one say 介紹自己? In context, would "I will introduce myself" be "我會介紹自己". The only reason I'm hesitant is because I feel like it could be alternatively interpreted as "to introduce to myself"...though, I don't have the ear of a native speaker, so I wouldn't know. Any comments on that?

Yes. 介紹自己 is correct.

I would say 我會介紹自己的, meaning I will introduce myself sometime in the future.

I am not English native. I am sorry I don't know what "introduce to myself" means.

• Like 1

I'm a native Chinese and I'm glad to help you out. 8)

Yes, of course you can say 最有意思的

1. Now, I'll explain to you why I think that the culture of Hong Kong is really China's most interesting.

my translation : 现在,让我告诉你为什么我认为香港文化是中国最有意思的。(说明 doesn't sound well here)

2. If you want to express "I will introduce myself" you can say “让我作一下自我介绍” “让我来介绍一下自己”

3. Can you give me the context of the sentence? You can say “谢谢观看那部电影” “很感谢大家看完了那部电影”

• Like 3