Chinese-Forums

Inputing words like 喜爱 in Linux

Ludens

When using Lubuntu, I used to be able to type words like these as xi'ai, but now that I've switched to Ubuntu, I can't find a way to mark the start of another syllable. This means typing xiai gets me 下i...

It's a pain to input these kind of words one syllable at a time. I'm using input method Chinese - Pinyin. Any suggestions?

that's very odd, I have Ibus pinyin too but have no trouble with xiai and xi'ai, both give 喜愛

You could perhaps check the "about" window, mine shows:

PinYin

Language: 汉语

Author: Peng Huang <xxxx>

Description:

PinYin Input Method

Additionally the relevant packages I have on my old Fedora are:

ibus.i386 1.1.0.20090829-1.fc10

ibus-pinyin.noarch 1.1.0.20090612-1.fc10

There are options for the pinyin input methods, I toyed a little with autocorrect and others but could not reproduce your issue...

Just type xi'ai. Most software is OK with xiai ,but not 西安. We type xi'an if we want to input 西安。

Or you can type one at a time. First xi, then ai. I'm sure there's a symbol used to separate the syllables.

Weird, while I've always used Ubuntu, and never its LXDE variant, I was always under the impression they used the exact same IME.

That said, whether on the current IBus (1.4.1), or even back to the days where SCIM was default, a regular apostrophe was always the way to separate syllables.

Thanks for your input everyone :-)

It made me realise the input method probably wasn't the problem, so I fiddled with the keyboard layout, and switching from "US with dead keys" to some other EN layout did the trick. I have my apostrophe functionality back, look: 喜爱