Chinese-Forums

The Parking Attendant in July / 看车人的七月 (Dir. 安

roddy

I've seen posters for this around Beijing lately, and saw the DVD yesterday so I figured I might as well get it. Watched it this morning and really enjoyed it.

Basic plot, without giving too much away - Parking attendant single father wants to marry florist. Florist wants to marry Parking attendant, but then her husband gets out of jail early and goes back on his promise to grant her a divorce. To translate the back of the DVD: In a long, hot July, pain and hope merge, love and hate meet.

It reminded me quite a lot of Beijing Bicycle - there's a bike chase through hutongs and a sulky adolescent who does things he shouldn't with bricks. The focus is much more on the adults than BB though, mainly 范伟's too-nice-for-his-own-good parking attendant, complete with jam-jar full of tea and keys hanging off his belt.

All the characters are really well played I think, and I found myself actually caring what happened, which doesn't usually happen.

The copy I have has no subtitles, and there were chunks of the dialogue I couldn't follow. Didn't really matter though, I still liked it.

Roddy