Chinese-Forums

What does 反证 in this sentence mean: 从另一方面看,中国航天技术的骄人成绩,也反证了中国人民是勤劳智慧的人民,反证了汉奸官僚把中国现代化的希望寄托在西方国家的身上是多么的愚蠢。?

anonymoose

On this webpage, I just came across this sentence:

从另一方面看,中国航天技术的骄人成绩,也反证了中国人民是勤劳智慧的人民,反证了汉奸官僚把中国现代化的希望寄托在西方国家的身上是多么的愚蠢。

How should 反证 be understood in this sentence? According to the dictionary (nciku.com for example), 反证 means to disprove or rebut. However, that doesn't seem to make sense in this sentence. Or is 反证 here just a contraction of 反而证实? If so, isn't using 反证 a bad choice of word since it can cause ambiguity?

So do you mean that in most cases, 反证 would mean 反过来证明?

Here's another example sentence:

对于青光眼的治疗,目前眼压仍是最确切、可控制的危险因素;同时,眼压控制后多数青光眼患者视神经损害的发展得到减缓也反证了高眼压的危害性。

In this sentence, if we interpret 反证 as meaing 反过来证明, then it seems pointless to say 反过来, because it isn't in contrary to anything previously said. On the other hand, it doesn't seem appropriate to understand it is meaning "disprove" either. :conf

In this sentence it still means 反过来证明, 反证 is just the short form. 控制眼压 反证 高眼压

控制眼压 would be like 低眼压. So if 低眼压 is effective in treating the disease, then 高眼压 must be hazardous. That's why it's called 反证. It used one side of the coin to explain the other.

But the sentence at OP doesn't seem a correct one, at least not so for the first usage of 反证

• Like 1

从另一方面看,中国航天技术的骄人成绩,也反证了中国人民是勤劳智慧的人民,反证了汉奸官僚把中国现代化的希望寄托在西方国家的身上是多么的愚蠢。

This is the first time I’ve come across this word and I find it odd (well perhaps it's just me). Normally I would expect 反过来证明, as was mentioned by malanting.

• 3 weeks later...
The word 反证 seems to have become quite popular in newspapers.

The meaning of 反证 here is different to that in my original example. Here 反证 simply means "counterevidence" and in English, at least, is not an infrequently used word.

In my example, what confused me, is that 反证 seems to have the opposite meaning, in the sense that it is not counterevidence, but on the contrary (反过来) proves (证明) the original premise.

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Hi,

I don't think 反证 is grammatically correctly here. 证明 is a better word choice in this case.反证 is mostly used in debate and the way it uses in English is different from Mandarin.

For example: A and B are debating. A believes that Chinese are so behind in terms of technolgy and astronomy, therefore can never acheive the dream of going to space. B uses the evidence of Chinese sucessfully launched spacecraft with human on it to prove (证) that reality is contradictory(反) to what A believes.

It is pretty hard to explain in english, but I did try my best. Hope this help.