Chinese-Forums

Which do you like better, oil painting or calligraphy?

custom_art365

In China there is a saying that goes 書畫同源. It means that painting and calligraphy have the same origin, if you enjoy painting, you must enjoy calligraphy either. The saying work for me, what about you? Just see my oil paintings and calligraphy, and tell which do you like better? http://customart365.imgur.com/ I will tell you how to enjoy calligraphy later. Thank you.

• Like 1

To be honest, I like the oil paintings better. It's not to say that I don't appreciate the calligraphy, however, it only takes one look to understand what the oil painting is about whereas with the calligraphy, you may have to strain your eyes and mind to try and understand what it's about.

it only takes one look to understand what the oil painting is about whereas with the calligraphy, you may have to strain your eyes and mind to try and understand what it's about.

You are right, in most cases, I only appreciate a famous calligraphy but don't understand its meaning, you must spend a lot time to read Chinese history and books, then you can really enjoy all kinds of calligraphy.

• Like 1

I like 欧阳询. I have been practicing his writing style for two years, and I like it more and more. It's a very good way to relax.

I like 欧阳询 too, It isn't easy to learn from sb for two years, I always learn from anyone I've seen, and think how they use their fingers, wrist and arm. It like an exchange with the ancients, so when I find the answer finally, I feel excited.

I like your paintings and your calligraphy very much. I can't say which I like better. Thank you for sharing them.

Someday I hope to discover the relaxing property of calligraphy. I'm a beginner now, and it feels very strenuous 费劲的!