Chinese-Forums

Studying on an "L" visa

Alex Whiteman

Hey,

I signed up for a one month Chinese course in Beijing 3 weeks from now.

I did this through the language school I attend to, so they are organizing the trip.

Anyway, I've been doing some research on my own and from that I gathered the type of visa I'd need for a "short course" would be an "F" visa.

Somebody at the Chinese embassy here told the guy organizing the trip that an "L" visa would suffice.

I spoke with that person and got the same response, even when I mentioned the F visa possibility. . .

I thought, "fine, I'll change it into an "F" after getting there if it then turns out I really have to". . .

. . . but today I received my "admission notice" to the uni in China saying "be sure to enter China with F or X visa, otherwise you will be responsible for all the possible consequences".

Ok. . . the guy from our school says he arranged with the uni for us to show up with an L visa AFTER that notice had been issued - so he still thinks we just need an L visa.

What do you make of this?

Also, how can I go through the Migrations control at the airport when all my papers but the visa type state I'm going to study? Should I say I'm there for tourism?! (staying at a campus).

In any case, on the visa application form you don't get to choose what type of visa you are applying for. You specify the purpose and duration of your visit and submit any other appropriate documentation such as letters of invitation, student admission forms, etc, and the embassy will look at all that and issue you with what they think is the appropriate visa.

One month of "language tourism" on an L visa is no problem. It is the most common way to come here for a few weeks of language study. Don't worry about it.

Don't worry about it studying for 29 days on an L-Visa is fine. Done thousand of times.

Just make sure you dont overstay, the L-visa is most likely valid for 30 days (not one month - be careful). If you need to stay longer it is possible to extend the L-Visa in Beijing, your school should be able to help you with the arrangements.