Chinese-Forums

'dige' ( 的哥 )

roddy

Has anyone else heard the word 'dige' ( 的哥 ) used for taxi drivers?

I've seen it in the newspapers a few times over the last fortnight, and heard it in a TV programme this morning. I hadn't heard it before and was wondering if it was a new word or just one I hadn't come across before. Also, can you use it when addressing taxi drivers?

Roddy

Roddy--I can't look it up right now, but in HOng Kong, taxis are called some two syllable word, the first syllable of which is di. Couldn't dige just be one of those contractions that shortens the first word and combines it with the measure word (ge4) (as opposed to ge1) without the noun it refers to?

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone else heard the word 'dige' ( 的哥 ) used for taxi drivers?

I've seen it in the newspapers a few times over the last fortnight' date=' and heard it in a TV programme this morning. I hadn't heard it before and was wondering if it was a new word or just one I hadn't come across before. Also, can you use it when addressing taxi drivers?

Roddy[/quote']

roddy, "dige" is a very popular word in Chinese. Dige means male taxi driver, Dijie(的姐) means female taxi driver.

The word "dige" indicates professions of people who drive taxt. It is used like teacher, worker.

We don't use this word when we address taxi driver.

In Taiwan I always heard and used siji (司機) for taxi drivers. Calling a taxi driver siji xiansheng always helped to make the ride more pleasant. Of course I could be totally wrong and noone had the heart to correct me...

• 7 months later...

You may already know this, but you can use di 的 by itself (a shortened form of dishi 的士) for taxi. Here's an example from a slang dictionary I have:

別傻站在這兒看著我,你還不快到馬路上叫輛的去呀! bie sha zhan zai zher kanzhe wo, ni hai bu kuai dao malushang jiao liang di qu ya!

So, by extension, you could get 的哥, etc. Hope that helps, or is at least interesting. :-) It sounds pretty informal (not that I would know, really!) so I can understand the last couple of posts. Have fun!

Mike

白毅敏