Chinese-Forums

Seeking forum member's views on the current interest (in China) in collecting objects of Chinese art & culture

jhankri

The current upward trend in prices paid for Chinese art in the past 5 to 10 years has made Chinese art the largest art market in the world. There seems to be great interest in the past 5 years among my Chinese friends in collecting even lower value, utilitarian objects from China's past, as well as fine artworks. This points to an apparent (renewed?) interest in collecting in China, as many of the objects purchased in the West are being returned for resale in China.

As a foreigner living in the US, I would appreciate the views of forum members as to the motives behind the current interest in collecting antiques and art in China. Specifically, do you see the upward trend in both interest and prices continuing?

Thank you.

I don't know what you mean.

In China, there is more and more people invested in the art market. make big profits with a small capital

Most of chinese have risk-taking mentality, lower value market focus means they want pay less and take more profits.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I realize that investment and collecting of Chinese art is on the rise in China. But my question is, why is the interest so widespread in China now? In the 1990s, Chinese antiques and art were not nearly so highly valued, and at that time Chinese dealers shipped large quantities of old furniture and other antiques to the West. Suddenly in the past 5 years or so, people are even interested in buying lower value Chinese antiques. Why does the average person want to collect these antiques now, when just a few years ago they were not valued?

OK, for that question.

Now, in China, more and more people invest in art market. Some cities have clubs, the people who want invest in art market in there. They do commercial exploitation. In there, a stone may more expensive than gold. That is very crazy,

for example, I collect a vase from there and cost 100k$, and I sold it 1M $, the one who bought it think it can be 10M $.

in this market, the risk is very high, and the profit are very high too.

That is the reason why people invest more in art market.

In China, more and more people make fake artwork. That may the reason of they buy artwork from foreign, I think...

That was a very good transaction for you with the vase. I know many people are making lots of money on Chinese art right now. I also read that good white (mutton fat) Hetian yu pebble can cost as much as $60 US per gram in China!

I have heard also from many Chinese here in the US that since there are so many good fakes, that they would rather buy Chinese antiques in the US or Europe. However, the supply here is drying up, and prices here are rising very fast.

Does the average person collect art and antiques in China only for profit? Or are there other reasons? (for example beauty, or historic value)

I know many Chinese here in the US collect Chinese antiques who do not want to re-sell for profit. They want to keep it for its beauty, etc. Is this happening in China too?

Thank you for your input.