Chinese-Forums

1-2 week study options, focused on listening/speaking?

markpete

Hi, everyone. I'm looking for suggestions for very short-term Chinese courses.

Basically, I just found out that I may have two weeks of vacation at the beginning of July, and I'm interested in using those two weeks to learn as much Chinese as possible. So, I'm looking for a program that is either one or two weeks and appropriate for my level (basic but not a total beginner-- I've completed the three Pimsleur courses and learned ~500 traditional characters and ~1200 compounds through self-study). I'm most interested in developing speaking and listening skills. I could travel to China or Taiwan and can probably afford most courses as long as they're not outrageously expensive. I've been out of college for a few years now, so bonus points for any program that has adult learners in it.

Ones I've found so far that look promising:

iMandarin Language Training Institute (Beijing) -- they have a three-week course, so I could do the first two weeks of it

Next Step China -- They have an intensive tutoring program that includes 20 hours of tutoring per week.

Beijing Chinese Language School -- another place offering intensive tutoring for 4-6 hours a day.

1on1Mandarin

So three questions:

1) Any thoughts on these particular programs or tips for quickly finding something appropriate?

2) How much could I learn in such a program?

3) If others have done programs like these (or heard about them), have they have been worthwhile? Or is the quality variable enough that this is a risky plan? (The risk being my vacation time and money.)

Thanks!

Mark

Not sure it will be worth it for so short a time. It will take a couple days to get to China and a couple days to get over jet lag and then a day or two to get home at the end. Is there a program in California that might suit your needs without requiring so much travel?

Alternatively, since you already have a head start via your home study, you could go to China and just try to use some of what you know while traveling around for ten days or so having a good time.

1. I was in a similar situation to you a few months ago - I wanted a flexible course in China for 3 weeks and to learn as much as I can. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to find schools. I was going through lots of websites and emailing them to see what their replies were like. Some institution offer a skype interview with a teacher/director of study and they speak to you on what they think you need, what level you are etc ask if they do that, I found that really helpful. If you like them then have a look at the internet to see if there are any outrageous reviews for the school. Do your research - I have heard that there are dubious language schools in China.

2. The more time the better, however, the best thing about being in China is being immersed in Mandarin so you are speaking it all the time and you will spend the time on it so you will definitely improve. If you are in a class situation, get a native Chinese language partner (ask the school if they will help you find one) so you can get the speaking practice in. Also have you thought about home-stay so you can speak to your family too?

3. I already had a basic/intermediate grasp of Chinese and my speaking was much inferior to my reading and writing. I ended up doing 121 lessons in China as I was worried I would not get much out of it if I had class mates of different standards. The 3 weeks was definitely worth it and my accent really improved as I was doing drilling exercise with the teacher and she could really help me.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. abcdefg, though I'd prefer a closer option, I haven't found any domestic programs that fit my needs so far.

Susu, did you like the lessons that you wound up doing in China? Would you recommend the school you used? If so, could you send me contact information for the school or your tutors?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I used Taipei Language Institute in Dalian in a place in Kai fa Chu - new development area. I chose it because there are several schools of TLI in China and Taiwan, so thought it was reputable.

I went to Dalian, but they have institutions in elsewhere. Of course I can't review the other institutions but if it was like the one in Dalian, I would recommend it.

Google 'Taipei Language Institute'. TLI Dalian only do 121 classes.

+

This particular place - Dalian has a lot of Korean and Japanese expats so the whole town is use to people speaking Mandarin badly (so they won't get impatient as in other towns of China I have been to). At the same time I was forced to speak and read Mandarin. English is not the second language - Japanese and Korean are! Dalian is much cheaper than living in Beijing so you can afford to live really close to the school. The hotel in the same block as the school with a little kitchenette cost 23 a night. The hour rates of the school are also very reasonable.

Dalian is famous for seafood and the Japanese food and Korean food is fantastic!!

The teachers and the Director are great - they are always around at break times or after school (you can hang out there) until 7pm so you can really practice your Mandarin. You ask whatever and they will do their best to help you.

If you want to continue with your studies, the same teachers do skype lessons, so they know your standard and you have already built up that relationship.

You have a few teachers (I had 3 teachers, did 4 hrs a day) every day so you get a difference experience each time. Different teachers pick up on different things that you do badly! Several of the teachers tirelessly corrected me on my accent!!! I have had 121 lesson before and a lot of teachers just let it go...

Lessons are very tailored so you can specify exactly what you want, or if you dont like the book! I wanted extra pronunciation and also a current affairs class, so saw basic real life articles from the internet!

-

If you want to explore Chinese Culture, Dalian is a bit sparse and the night life is non-existent here.

Most people here have 121 lesssons and a lot of them are expats so you miss out on the social life. This is definitely not the place to go if you want it to be sociable - I studied in BLCU for 4 weeks previously and that was REALLY sociable, practically everyone spoke English in the class and lots of interesting people.

As the students are expat - they do not offer home stay options etc. However as I said before you get the practice with the teachers.

I missed English while I was there!!!!

---

Unfortunately, I can't remember what my 2nd choice - it was an institute in Beijing but I liked the fact they had loads of level of classes at each point in time for different levels.

My 3rd choice was 'live the language' - I had a skype interview with the director. They don't have many classes of different levels but truthfully told me that I was too good to be in their class, which I appreciated!

Good Luck!