Chinese-Forums

Last-minute Visa Problem

Tiana

I gave myself 3 weeks to apply by post for a single entry tourist Visa. This visa is for a 50-day stay, which includes 1 month of training at an academic institution, and some time for touring afterwards.

My first application was returned unprocessed and I was asked to send a return flight booking as well as an invitation letter from a company or institution in China. I sent the application 2nd time with a copy of my return flight booking and an email from the institution telling me when and where to arrive, which includes the address of the hotel where I'll be staying and the name of my contact. My application was returned unprocessed again, asking for a letter of invitation. I don't have any letter of invitation. My training in China is a short scholarship won through an online application at a specific website. All the procedure was done there and I therefore never got a letter of invitation.

Next Friday is my flight but at this moment I don't know what to do about the Visa, has anyone got some advice for me? I'm in the UK and I've emailed the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre in London about my problem, but I don't know if they'd reply to email. My scholarship is actually sponsored by the Chinese Embassy in London, so I emailed my contact there but she just happens to be away for this week and time is running out on me...In this situation, it may be too late to get a visa when she is back. I therefore wonder if it's ever possible at all to arrive in Shanghai without a visa and get the visa at the airport. Does anyone know? Can this be done with some good words or document from the Embassy? Or what alternative would you suggest? It's not possible for me to be in London to apply for the visa in person.

I've been to China before and applied for a visa before without any problems then. In hindsight, I shouldn't have mentioned anything about the training, but I was then worried that they would not give me a 50-day visa without mentioning the period of training there.

Thanks for reading and any help you can offer! :)

With only one day left I don't think there are many options apart from going to the embassy in person or using a visa agency.

To my best knowledge it's officially not possible to get a visa at the airport however in reality I think it's possible to get at least a transit visa for a few days if you can motivate it sufficiently (rerouted flight or something alike). Probably the bigger challenge however is to get there without a visa in the first place. Airlines check papers and won't let you on the plane without the right papers as that may attract fines and other trouble for them.

So basicly a visa agency or a personal visit seem to me the only viable options but admittedly, I'm not an expert on the matter.

Thank you for your reply Silent!

By "next Friday" I mean the 29th of June, so I've still got a few days to do it. The problem is my important contact in the Embassy is away for the whole of this week, so I don't know want to do until then. It may just be too late for me when she's back to the Office.

Why don't you just apply for an L visa. that's how I did it when I went to China for a semester abroad. I got a multiple entry visa for 60 days each, and didn't have any problem getting it processed within a week

Yes, I'd like to apply for an 60-day tourist visa, but I understand that I have to have a Hotel Confirmation to apply. Do they really require a confirmation of hotel reservation? (I don't have this confirmation as the University itself will put me in a hotel. I do have the hotel address and phone number, however). Since time is short, I fear that if they don't accept this time because of something missing, I'd then be in serious trouble. So, I just freeze and don't know what to do!

Do they really require a confirmation of hotel reservation?

I don't think you need to provide a hotel reservation confirmation, but you can easily go on hotels.com, etc. and book a hotel that allows you to cancel. Just cancel it after you get the visa.

#1 --

I therefore wonder if it's ever possible at all to arrive in Shanghai without a visa and get the visa at the airport. Does anyone know?

That's not possible. No VOA (visa on arrival.) The airline also won't let you even check in for your outgoing flight at the ticket counter.

#6 --

Yes, I'd like to apply for an 60-day tourist visa, but I understand that I have to have a Hotel Confirmation to apply. Do they really require a confirmation of hotel reservation?

That's the thing to do. Don't say anything about your course. Apply as a tourist. Book a hotel on line through a travel agency and cancel it later. This way you can supply the Chinese authorities with proof of confirmed lodging.

Also, your airline flight needs to be booked round trip, going to China initially and leaving at the end.

Since you can't go to London yourself, use an agent even if it costs more. Pay for "rush service." They know the ropes and you don't.

Search the topic on Thorn Tree. Visa requirements have gotten much stricter since last year.

• Like 1

Thank everyone for replying. It's very much appreciated!

I've just now received a invitation letter from the institution I'm going to, and this is as the Visa Service require, I hope all will be fine this time.

But as an experience, I feel the Visa Service in London is very unfriendly (with applications by post, in any case). They don't reply to my queries but simply keep returning the application if it's not exactly as they wanted, and leaving applicants at risk of missing flights. Also, although I applied for a Tourist Visa, since I mentioned about the short training in China (I felt I had to), they unilaterally turned it into an F visa application and therefore the extra requirements that I didn't anticipate.

Anyway, I hope all will be fine with my 3rd submission, but just to re-assure myself: if I send my application with the extra document that they ticked on a list as required (ie, invitation letter), they would not come back with new requirements, would they?

...they would not come back with new requirements, would they?

Proof of lodging arrangements; round trip air ticket.

They don't reply to my queries but simply keep returning the application back if it's not exactly as required...

You will probably have better luck making any further inquiries by phone rather than by e-mail. Chinese businesses and agencies often don't do well with e-mail.

Also, although I applied for a Tourist Visa

How do you apply for a tourist visa? Every time I've applied for a visa (including one I applied for just a couple of days ago), you don't get to specify the visa type on the form. The embassy looks at your stated purpose, intended duration and other related paperwork, and issue you the visa they believe the most appropriate for your situation.

Edit, for future reference, and for anyone else who might need it, the city central hostel in Beijing allows you to both make and cancel reservations online, no deposit required :mrgreen:

It feels just like playing the lottery. It's one more day to departure but I'm still waiting nervously for my visa. The only thing seems to be sure is that my application has not been rejected this time (or it would have been sent back very quickly). Just can't stop wondering whether the visa will come in the post tommorrow and if it doesn't, it'd be a very expensive re-schedule, if this can be done at all.

I wonder if I should ring the visa section and ask about it. Would they know and tell you if you tell them your name and passport munber. Has anyone done this?

I wonder if I should ring the visa section and ask about it. Would they know and tell you if you tell them your name and passport munber. Has anyone done this?

Sorry for your trouble. I have no experience with the London visa office, but were I in your shoes, I would be worried sick and would probably try it, for better or for worse.

Thank you! I'll try it :)

I tried it twice before (to ask what else I could use instead of the invitation letter, before I received it) but gave up before I got anyone to talk too. The phone would tell you your estimated waiting time (30, 45 minutes, etc) but it didn't go down after a long time, so I just had to hang up.

Happy update: I tried ringing the Visa Section again this morning from 8:30 but after over an hour on the phone, there was still this repeating message "estimated waiting time is 31 minutes". This was exactly the same message I got from the beginning and the waiting time never went down to let you know that things were moving, however slowly. Anyway, now 2 hours later the postman came and I got the visa. It's a happy ending at last and I'm looking forward to saying Hello to China! :)

Thanks again to everyone for your advice!