Chinese-Forums

the use of 得过

youreskimofriend

Hi again, I hope I am not spamming but I have an exam coming up and I need all the help I can get ;-)

The following sentence seems a bit strange to me.

我已经得过三次感冒了

I understand what it means but what exatly does the 得 do here? Isnt 感冒

the verb? Couldn't I use the 过 to indicate the past experience directly with 感冒?

If I don't want to use 过 in a similar sentence, does 得 always go with 感冒. I usually wouldn't say 我得感冒了, right?

I found this 得过-combination in a similar sentence: 我一次病也没有得过. Again, I understand what it means but I don't understand what the 得 is doing here. Couldn't I say 我一次病也没有发过 or ...受过?

Thank you all!

In the sentence you mentioned, 感冒 is not a verb but a noun.

To 得(dé) 病 means to contract/get some kind of illness or disease and can be used with a variety of different illnesses, not just 感冒.

I'm not sure if 我得感冒了 is correct or not, but it's more common to say 我感冒了, but I don't think it's so much of a verb when you say it this, but rather a description of your current state. You can use it with other diseases like this though, e.g.

我得癌了 - I have cancer

Conversely, it would seem strange to me just say 我癌了, like you would with 我感冒了 and I think 感冒 is a perhaps a special case because it is quite a common occurence.

• Like 1