Chinese-Forums

Do native speakers commonly substitute 得,地 with 的 in informal writing?

Benjameno

I saw this on Weibo, and although I'm not absolutely certain, it seems to me that 的 is not grammatical here.

他们激动的在考场外热吻。

I have seen many other instances on the internet where I cannot justify the use of 的. Am I mistaken, or is this a common feature of Chinese netspeak?

Your right, its a common feature of Chinese netspeak, and what their doing is similar in nature to how native English users also mix up different forms of words that sound the same.

*before anyone comments, yes, misuse of your, its and their in this post was intentional and depending on your point of view, possibly even humourous.

• Like 1

Your right, its a common feature of Chinese netspeak, and what their doing is similar in nature to how native English users also mix up different forms of words that sound the same.

Like "your" and "you're". :lol:

I noticed that the Taiwanese youngsters are especially notorious for 错别字 (although they would always be the correct tone, because their input system requires one to enter the tone as well). Their excuse? "You'll probably understand me anyway."

I think there is no need to single out taiwan youngsters for being especially notorious for typos. There does not seem to be significant difference among the young people of different places in this regard, IMHO.

• Like 1

Well, I think it's more of a culture difference. 注音 allows one to input tone, and many young Taiwanese have it in their heads that as long as the pronunciation is the same, the opposite side should be able to understand them. Moreover, there are not many 注音 based IMEs, so the dictionaries and word prediction are poor, many Taiwanese often need to resort to inputting a word character by character, and of course they would feel it's too 麻烦 in an active, busy chat. I think those are the main reasons I noticed so many 错别字 from Taiwanese users.