Chinese-Forums

The single most annoying thing about Chinese pop music...

wenjing*girl

Is it just me, or is the single most annoying thing about Chinese pop music when they insert a phrase or a word of English into the song? I'm not big on any Chinese music actually, but hearing those songs makes me grit my teeth...am I alone on that? :wall

I think the only thing worse than random English in a song is when they do a whole English song or albulm.

I love Faye Wong, I think she has one of the most distinctive styles and voices in the world of Chinese pop today. When I first went to China, my roommate, after learning that I practically idolized her (she was all over the place in Pepsi ads at the time) bought me the bootleg boxed set of her albulms as a parting gift, it was a very comprehensive collection, it included a few of her English singles which (not surprisingly) were never released in the U.S., including one exceptionally painful number call "do we really care?"

Here are some choice lyric selections from "do we really care":

I saw pictures of a small girl

Crying, livin in the lost world

The men fight for dear god, she don't care

Cuz there's nothin left to share...

Read the paper of a colored boy

He was starving so were the lone vultures

Why so full of sorrow no tomorrow

No rainbow will he ever know

atrocious lyrics, it's as painful to listen to as it is to read it.

it included a few of her English singles which (not surprisingly) were never released in the U.S., including one exceptionally painful number call "do we really care?"

"Do We Really Care" was originally on the 100,000 Whys? album, which also included Barry White, Tori Amos, and The Police covers (although in Cantonese). Which Faye Wong CD's were released in the U.S.? 10 years ago, I started slowly building up a collection mail order through Man's Trading in San Francisco....in the days before YesAsia, the only place I knew that stocked/shipped a full range of legitimate HK/Taiwan discs.

By the way, you want painful? Check out Faye's cover of Blondie's "Heart of Glass" on the new live VCD/DVD.