Chinese-Forums

Referent of 帶(著) in a sentence

Glenn

I'm pretty sure 凱思 in this sentence is a person's name, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I'm having problems figuring out what the object of 帶(著) is. Here's the sentence:

凱思整個人都僵住了,摩頓森帶著他慢慢走回隧道的黑暗中。

Is 摩頓森 carrying 凱思 back to the tunnel with him? Or is he carrying something else back to the tunnel with him? Let me know if the rest of the text is needed. This comes at the end of a paragraph about land mines and walking through a tunnel and possibly not making it back through it and not having a great chance to survive even if they go forward.

Reading back over it, it looks like 他 is the object of 帶, and the 他 being referred to here is 凱思. Sorry, I'm too lazy to edit all that. :oops:

Ooooohhhhhhh, it's "Casey"? Wow, I doubt I ever would have guessed that.

No, not like the actor in LOTR -- one of the authors of 三杯茶.

Alright, now I'm getting a different understanding of what 整個人 means. I thought it had meant something like 大家, but now I'm figuring it means something more like "the whole person", like his whole body, so he was completely scared motionless (or "couldn't move a muscle"), not that everyone was in that condition. Is that right?

but now I'm figuring it means something more like "the whole person", like his whole body, so he was completely scared motionless (or "couldn't move a muscle"), not that everyone was in that condition. Is that right?

Correct.

Also, 帶 doesn't necessarily mean carry, and here I think it's more likely to mean 'lead'/'take'/'accompany'.

• Like 3

Oh, that's good to know. Thanks!

I find it interesting that I ended up realizing what the obstacle to my understanding was three steps into the process (and then there was still an extra layer). It kind of makes finding solutions difficult when you aren't even right about what the problem is. ha

Thanks to skylee too!

I find it interesting that I ended up realizing what the obstacle to my understanding was three steps into the process (and then there was still an extra layer). It kind of makes finding solutions difficult when you aren't even right about what the problem is

This is called learning :mrgreen:

Some people try to shortcut that whole process, but actually your brain taking several steps to figure it all out is what will leave a deep impression on you.