Chinese-Forums

Porting a Mobile Phone Number in China

pprendeville

Anyone know of this is possible in China. Not sure what the Chinese word is for porting. If one gets a new phone and new sim card but wants to keep the old phone number on the new card (so you don't have to get in touch with all your contacts and give tell them you have a new number). 

My wife got a new phone for her parents but they don't really want to change numbers but like the new phone. I believe the old number prefix is 152 which is China Mobile and the new number is with Dianxin (电信), not sure of the prefix. 

The term is 攜號轉網/携号转网, but it does not seem possible. I have found a news report saying that there is a law suit going on exactly because this is currently not allowed (except in some cities like Hainan and Tianjin as a trial). The news report is here -> 中移動拒攜號轉台 律師告上法庭

PS - but can't you use the old sim card on the new phone?

China Telecom (电信)'s network uses CDMA, whereas China Mobile's uses GSM. From the OP's description, it seems that his inlaws currently have a China Mobile GSM phone and the new phone is a CDMA phone. The two are not compatible and going from one phone to the other would require switching carrier.

• 1 month later...